PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me on clutch springs BARNETT??

Thumpin440ex
11-06-2011, 10:45 PM
I noticed today that my 4th and 5th are slipping on the initial shift, when in the throttle all the way.. I have hinson billet proof clutch, but but do not think the guy gave me the good springs with it. My buddy has a stock 02 and the clutch lever on the side cover is extremely hard to push forward with my hand, but I can move mine much easier.. That leads me to believe these springs are fading or no good.. I have a chance to snag some NEW HD BARNETT springs for cheap.. Part # MT-79 Are these actually stiffer then stockers or other aftermarket ones?? Talk to me me guys.. Thanks oh btw they are doing good enough to beat on a 700 rapy :P but need to be solid on that 4 and 5 shift..

John

Thumpin440ex
11-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Top this off.. I know somebody has some info on these things

John

ish416
11-07-2011, 11:23 AM
When I installed my Hinson basket the clutch became extremely smooth and light.

I tried running barnett plates and springs and quickly came to the conclusion that they are absolute crap. I was running a stiffer spring from them and the springs performed worse than the stock worn out original springs.

My advice on the clutch, run your Hinson billet basket with OEM plates and springs. You shouldn't have any issues at all. I have been running this setup on my EX with all the mods listed in my sig for over 8 years and have not had to replace the fiber plates yet.

JOHNDOE83
11-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Honestly for $45 the tusk clutch kit with heavy duty springs is the best bang for the buck!

Its better then the stock clutch, the springs are better, everything is new, it pulls easy...etc.

I use it on my drag EX and it never slips, I used one for 5 years before I recently replaced it with the same tusk kit again. It wasnt even slipping when I replaced it!

400exrip
11-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Barnett Clutches are very good quality clutches I have ran them for 2 years
now and been racing on them for this past season. Probably going to change them out and put fresh everything in for next season. I don't have too just time to freshen up.

Curtis Sparks makes a good clutch kit that comes with the springs at a reasonable price.

I have not tried out the Tusk kit but have heard very good things about them from everyone up here!

And on every clutch forum there is ALWAYS going to be an argument between HINSON and BARNETT clutches It is all a matter of opinion and the riders style.

Thumpin440ex
11-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Does the stock honda springs have a blue stripe on them?? I just pulled the cover earlier because I am wanting to ride thursday, plus I have not had it off since i finished put it all back together last april..I can not remember what my stock ones looked like.. The plates are in excellent shape, still plenty of pad left.. I need a heavier spring..I am thinking for a quick fix to put a few washers under each spring to add pressure to them, as I have seen this done in alot of motorcycle set ups.. I just want a spring that will hold.. I know I am not making any huge power but it is def slipping on the 4 and 5 shift but then grabs good.. Lower gears are fine no slip at all...

John

Thumpin440ex
11-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Anybody else?? I have done research on both the barnett springs and tusk now.. Seems alot of people can ***** about both..

John

Thumpin440ex
11-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Will just pass on this subject. :D

John

05DodgeDakota
11-08-2011, 03:50 PM
My engine builder suggest only replacing everyother one with a stiffer spring

honda400ex2003
11-08-2011, 05:09 PM
i recommend tusk myself! I have had it in my 416 and 440 for quite some time. I have 3 riding years on mine with a few thousand miles with really no ill effects.

however with my 440 and my 18s it is starting to slip a tad every now and again. lol might be time for a new one this spring. Ill def be buying a tusk again though. ill also be switching back to my 20s.

steve

Pipeless416
11-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota
My engine builder suggest only replacing everyother one with a stiffer spring

that can't be done with 5 springs.. :p

05DodgeDakota
11-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I didn't even think of that. 450s must have 6 springs

Pipeless416
11-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by 05DodgeDakota