PDA

View Full Version : what cylinder would you run for tt racing?

tj808
11-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Hey guys!
I recentely bought a 86 trx250r. Besides owning a 83 250r back in the day.... this is my first time owning the legend!!! I have 20+ years with other bikes.
This 86 is really nice. The previous owner just put a ton of cash into new parts. The bike has a brand new mx ported oem 66mm cylinder, hot rods hd crank, lrd adjustable pipe, vforce 3 reeds, 38mm keihn, hinson basket and etc. The suspension and chassis are also mostly aftermarket too.
I planned on lowering it and adding a swaybar. But thought the stock cylinder will not compete with the build banshees and 450 4-strokers. I want to keep the stock stroke because the motor only has about 5 hours on it. I want to just replace the cylinder and head basically.
I only weight 145lbs and this bike will be built for tt/oval racing only. I was thinking of going with the ESR 330 cylinder with the exhaust valve.
My questions are:
1)What cylinder would you use?
2)Do the ESR cylinders come hand ported--or just rough casted ports?
3) What company(with a dyno) does good port work specifically for tt racing?
4) What is a good pipe for tt racing.
5) on a 1986...should i run a -2 or -3 swinger?
thanks for any help!!

mx Eli
11-06-2011, 05:51 PM
I'v seen pc200 cylinders work good, I couple people I know had ftz porting hualed the mail pretty good

a -3 will prolly be better for your weight, i'v always had to go shorter then normal (I weigh same as you)

400exrip
11-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Neil at C-Leigh Racing can get you the perfect porting\motor setup for TT racing on a TRX250R.

ESR's are good cylinders I have heard the port work from them is not to good, but have not seen it with my own eyes yet.

Curtis Sparks youst to build some mean TT motors for the 250R like the one that was in Shane Hitts old bikes when he was riding for Sparks. But I dont think Curtis makes ANYTHING for the ol 250R anymore.

Now Neil can build you a mean motor too.
If you are interested in getting a motor built just hit him up I think he is a authorized dealer for ESR so he might can cut you a deal.

If you are going to stick with the stock cylinder I would go real short like -3 or-4. But if you running a 330 motor or bigger it might be too much horsepower for a -4 swinger. (can't keep the front tires on the ground).

Are you planning on running the EDT series next year with us or what? We need all the 250R's we can get to start running the series again.

deathman53
11-06-2011, 06:16 PM
sparks doesn't want anything to do w/ a 250r now. When I called about getting TT pipe, the guy told me they don't make them nor have any plans of it. He did tell me that he get atleast 20 phone calls a week about 250r exhaust pipes. The last products for a 250r and everything that was left of what he had was sold to a shop. He had to bug sparks about making exhaust for several months and the only reason he got it was because he knows Curtis from way back. I asked them, who made the pipes for you? They insisted they did, I have been told shearer made them for him and then he told me who the last batch of pipes and all 250r products went to. The guy from sparks gets people who want their cylinders ported, big bore cylinders, PV cylinders, pipes and other things they did for them. Curtis just ignores them and wants to work on new 4 strokes and things he can farm out to other people and put his name on them.

bigmatt61
11-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Who was making the stuff for Sparks?

tj808
11-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by 400exrip
Neil at C-Leigh Racing can get you the perfect porting\motor setup for TT racing on a TRX250R.

ESR's are good cylinders I have heard the port work from them is not to good, but have not seen it with my own eyes yet.

Curtis Sparks youst to build some mean TT motors for the 250R like the one that was in Shane Hitts old bikes when he was riding for Sparks. But I dont think Curtis makes ANYTHING for the ol 250R anymore.

Now Neil can build you a mean motor too.
If you are interested in getting a motor built just hit him up I think he is a authorized dealer for ESR so he might can cut you a deal.

If you are going to stick with the stock cylinder I would go real short like -3 or-4. But if you running a 330 motor or bigger it might be too much horsepower for a -4 swinger. (can't keep the front tires on the ground).

Are you planning on running the EDT series next year with us or what? We need all the 250R's we can get to start running the series again.
thanks for the replys!
I'm in Wisconsin. Do you have any contact/website info for C-Leigh Racing?

400exrip
11-08-2011, 01:56 PM
pm'ed you with the info.

easman31
11-08-2011, 02:00 PM
All of Curtis's 250r pipes were all made in house. I know this for a fact, as well as every pipe they sell. Its all made in house from scratch...

mx Eli
11-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by tj808
thanks for the replys!
I'm in Wisconsin. Do you have any contact/website info for C-Leigh Racing?

what part of wisconsin are you in? there is alot of flat track racers here, I can hook u up with a couple peoples # if your serious, pinitatv is also one that knows alot here in wisconsin. pm me if your going to do some tt/ft here, i can try to help you out

400exrip
11-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Hey I pm'ed you his cell phone number.

tj808
11-10-2011, 05:01 PM
can I even use a ESR 330 cylinder with a stock 86 crank? Or do I need the longer rod?

mx Eli
11-10-2011, 06:18 PM
tj808 pm returned

C-LEIGH RACING
11-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by tj808
can I even use a ESR 330 cylinder with a stock 86 crank? Or do I need the longer rod?

Yes, you just wont need the spacer plate under the cylinder because of the short rod crank, but you'll need the cases opened up for the 330 sleeve.
Neil

woodsracer144
11-24-2011, 08:16 AM
are you running on ice or dirt?

If you get that OE cylinder ported by the right person you could move pretty good. I ran a CR ftz cylinder from FTZ and that thing would haul some butt for being a stock bore. I was running it ice racing last year and she was -15 and I didnt jet it just right, I went bigger but not enough... she went poop but man she was FAST!

I'd just send that oe cylinder to neil

what part of WI are you in. check us out

www.nwircracing.com