PDA

View Full Version : clear coat?

01boneless
11-05-2011, 04:23 PM
ok as some of you know i painted some parts on my quad frame a arms hub ect... but the hubs are fully cured and dry/snooth but i can still chip soft paint off if i barley bump them on something? will clear coat help harden this up? and if so can i use rattle can because i am done and cleaned the gun and crap up and it is just to messy lol

audioworks04
11-05-2011, 04:42 PM
What kind of paint did you use? If you used an automotive single stage paint like it sounds like you did, the it already has clear in it, thats what the hardener is for, therefor clearcoat will not help much. If you used a paint without a hardener in it then an automotive clearcoat may help. Rattle can clear may help a little, wont hurt anyways. But if you really want it to stand up to some abuse then youll want powdercoat.

01boneless
11-05-2011, 04:50 PM
i used valspar tractor and inplement paint from tsc my friend used it on a tracktor frame and it worked awsome doesent have hardenor in it and im not sure if it has clear or not but its like i can still peel soft paint off? maybe it needs to set a few more days ?

400exHondaRider
11-05-2011, 05:33 PM
i work at a new holland, kubota dealership and use the spray can tractor paint a a daily base, it usually drys within an hour or two if its a heavy coat, but i have never had any problem with it scraping off after the hour or two so it should be dry. how many coaches did you put on?

01boneless
11-05-2011, 05:38 PM
just 2 coats with 24 hours between each coat has been chilly maybe not full cured? do you use clear?

400exHondaRider
11-05-2011, 05:40 PM
how cold? my crap face boss keeps the temp at 55 degrees so the building is rather cold. and no i don not use clear coat after painting.

01boneless
11-05-2011, 05:48 PM
what the heck is up then ? i got mine cureing in 65-70 temp and still better hope i dont bump a part in to anything lol

400exHondaRider
11-05-2011, 05:51 PM
im not really sure, we just restored an old tractor and painted every thing blue, it was dry the next day, if you dont figure it out by monday i can ask my boss what he thinkgs would be the problem, keep posted on what happens.

audioworks04
11-05-2011, 05:53 PM
How did you prep the items? Prep is key with paint, you need to at a minimum scuff the surface. Tsc does carry a hardner for their implement paint for future reference. You can try baking them at 200deg, but if its not cured in 24 hrs it probably won't.

01boneless
11-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Hmmm i was gonna assemble tomarrow but its at the point where when a bolt wold be flush on the paint and turned it would peel it right off :confused: oh well think clear coat will help any? if not im just gonna put it all together it will be setting 2-3months befor its rode anyway. preping i done

remove old paint with aircraft
wire wheel and sand all rough spots
prime 3 seprate coats 1 primer 2 prime rust inhibitor
spray with paint 2 coats 24 hours between each coat

CJM
11-05-2011, 10:46 PM
I see where you made the mistake..

After you sanded it, did you clean it with anything? A clean surface free of contaminants means paint will hold on WAY better.

I use lacquer thinner or acetone.

Tommy Warren
11-05-2011, 11:13 PM
you probably didn't prep right. I wouldn't clear it because your tractor paint is a single stage paint and if you clear it it probably won't bond and you'll end up cracking your paint.....it will look like a road map.

01boneless
11-06-2011, 06:27 AM
cjm after each prime and sand we rubbed it down with thinner :D and thanks tommy i may not clear it it seems every day i let it cure it gets better this morning i cant chip it so maybe its just slow curing paint?

Tommy Warren
11-06-2011, 07:59 AM
its probably fast drying paint but you might have put it on to heavy. the outside of the paint dries fast but then the hardening agents underneath are trapped and the vapours can't escape. so when you touch it it doesn't get on your finger but you leave a finger print in the paint.

Honda#4
11-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Enamel paint takes much longer to cure than your typical paint at say walmart or whatever, I've painted numerous tractor rims and we don't clear them at all, enamel has a clear agent in it to give it that shinny look to it. We leave it a minimum of a day and a half to fully cure.

SpasticR450
11-06-2011, 05:39 PM
When i paint things I always use clear engine temp paint on it and always turns out good and is more resistant to coming off from gas and other chemicals. And I use krylon for the color its ment for plastic so it wont crack or chip like normal paint as easy.

blacknblue#2
11-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I didnt read the entire post so i may have missed the answer to my question but did you used TCS paint out of a rattle can or out of a quart/gallon can? Tractors is my dad thing..he has painted many many over the years and swears by TSC paint but if its out of the quart/gallon it does require a hardener. Dad will catch a good day, spray and can be assembling the next day. Without a hardener it can take a long time to cure. Here is a couple of his TSC painted tractors.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/International%20Harvester%20Pics/023.jpg

01boneless
11-07-2011, 09:08 PM
nice tractors! :eek2: thanks bill and i used the ones that come in a quart its good now 2 days later still a little GREEN sorta speak but i started assembling it looking great imo

chronicsmoke
11-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Looks great man, I hope that paint turns out for you

01boneless
11-08-2011, 07:56 AM
t will every day it sits it gets harder i dropped the a arms yesterday and no damage so they should be ok :D