PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Oil filter

smorris1
11-05-2011, 02:10 PM
What are your guys opinions on stainless steel oil filters. I got one on ebay today for $17 and it seems to be pretty decent. Before I use it I want to hear from some people who have used one.

Baileygunns
11-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Do you think you're going go be able to completely clean it? I'll stick to fresh paper filters... JMHO

slightlybent47
11-05-2011, 07:34 PM
I have 2 brand new ones that were given to me and I don’t dare use them. For one I don’t think you could clean them well enough and I have a feeling they are not as good. Maybe for a high flow situation they would do ok but I fear they have bigger holes than the paper filter. I have 2 of them if anyone wants to try them. lol

smorris1
11-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Yeah i know exactly what you guys mean. I think im gonna return it lol.

Stickman400
11-05-2011, 07:44 PM
I was using a CompFlow stainless steel one before I rebuilt my motor. I put in a K&N after I got it broke in just too make sure I get everything outta the engine and was gunna use the SS one again, but it does have quite abit of metal flakes stuck too it that won't come off, but I think a good blast of air would get them off. Been using it for awhile before that though and had no problems.

smorris1
11-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Yeah I have been using the K&N oil filter and it seems to work great. The stainless kinda scares me a little. Thats why I wanted to get another opinion on it.

slightlybent47
11-05-2011, 08:55 PM
I won’t use them for the same reason I don’t use or recommend a high flow air filter like the K&N. Smaller holes mean better filtering, plane and simple.

Stickman400
11-06-2011, 12:32 PM
I've been using a K&N flter with an outerwear on my quad since I bought it back in '04. I just recently rebuilt it and the entire top-end looked great. Just alot of carbon build up everywhere, which is typical. Nothing had excessive wear and needed replaced or anything like that. I think the outerwear makes a big difference though.

grassman
11-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Ive been using a comp flo stainless filter for 6 yrs... Never had a problem, oil always looks clean when drained and its easy to clean.

JOHNDOE83
11-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Ive used the stainless filter for over 5 years now, its easy to clean and reliable.

Keep spending money on paper or put in the stainless!

To clean : pull out, spray with carb cleaner, use air hose to blow it out, reinstall, ride out!