PDA

View Full Version : crank bearing help... who rebuilds cranks?

Jake250ex
11-05-2011, 09:20 AM
I rebuilt my motor before powerline park, and on the white flag lap a couple miles from the finish my coolant hose popped off... and like a moron i kept running it thinking i could finish.

It got hot enough to melt the oil fill plug and the cam chain guides inside the motor. I took it back to my mechanic and he said that everything was good, just needed to replace the melted parts and a new piston/cylinder

So, new top end and Ironman bound. Went around 3 turns and motor locks up. There was about half a quart of oil all over the motor. I let it set for a few minutes then walked back over to it and kicked it over to see if it "unstuck" itself after it cooled off and it fired up, I rode it back to the truck.

Its running but chatters pretty loud and like I said will lock up after a couple seconds at high rpm's. I know not to run it anymore but I guess my question is can I get away with just replacing the crank bearings in the case or do I need an entire crank? And if I need a crank who will rebuild mine? Dropping 1500 buck into this thing for 2 nationals has resulted in 2 dnf's and Im hurting for money.

thanks for the help

eastside 400
11-05-2011, 02:45 PM
just buy a new oem crank. not worth the time and money to rebuild these cranks because there arent any high quality kits and you cant buy the lower rod bearing from honda