PDA

View Full Version : First run questions?

wolfe 21
11-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Ok, I've had my ex for about 3 years and it's sat for most of the last 2 as I had no health insurance. Finally got insurance, but it wouldn't run, so I tore it down, cleaned and reassembled. Bike seems to run ok now, but only a few first gear laps around the house, so not a great test. will idle well now too and definitely starts easier than with the 38 primary. Bein this was my first experience with this, I've got a few questions.

First, my local honda shop sold me a moose rebuild kit for the carb. Any opinions on these. Assumed I'd get honda parts from a Honda dealer, but w/e.
Second, I'm using a kehein 40 pilot and the stock size jets from the moose kit for the main (144 i think). also replaced all brass with new from kit (needle on third notch, seat, main, a/f screw, and float needle). Bike is factory stock, including replaced stock exhaust (PO had removed baffle), save for a K&N filter with pre-filter. Will these jets work OK?
Third, my carb a/f screw is set 2-1/4 turns out from seated. will this be enough to atleast test ride safely for a while. Ambient Temp is around 55-60 right now, but will be 80-100 during normal riding times.
Finally, what's a good way to tell if I'm overheating the engine while riding. I don't beat it or ride like I stole it, but we do ride close trails with little air circulation. Can I rig a temp gauge or I've been thinkin about one of those infrared temp guns from Harbor Freight. Or...???

Any and all information appreciated.
Thanks, James.

honda400ex2003
11-05-2011, 08:49 AM
if you are planning to run a k&n i would suggest going about 2.5 turns out on the f/a screw and probably to a 150 main jet that is a keihin. unless you are higher than 2500 feet or so in elevation, then you should be ok with the 148. stock main is a 148. the 42 pilot will work out well and is helping out your cold starting considerably. you shouldnt even need tthe choke any more, give it 3-5 pumps of the throttle and start it up. if it dies, give it a few more pumps and do it again. if it is continuously dying, turn your f/a screw out another 1/4 turn from where it is.

completely stock jetting:
148 main
38 pilot
2.25 turns out on f/a
3rd notch on needle

xrsonly.com has a oil stick temp guage that works pretty well, normal range is 180-230 or so, anything over that is pretty high and would be a cause for starting to try to cool it off or turn it off to cool for a bit. at 230 i usually monitor it quite heavily and make sure i stay moving a bit quicker to help cool it down again. though i monitor mine close all the time to check and see how it is running.

just my .02 on the subject though,
steve

wolfe 21
11-05-2011, 02:31 PM
OK,I'll give it another quarter turn and see how it works out. My pilot is a 40, not 42 though, which I figured was big enuff since the only mod is the filter. I've been runnin it with the K&N and the 148 for a while when I first got it. seemed good, but I spend more time on the primary by far than I do on the main circuit (if I understand it right main is only 3/4 throttle and up). I bought way more bike than i need for what and how I ride, but being young and dumb leads to that on occasion. I'll watch the temp and check the plug to see what's up and change jets if it seems necessary.
Oh, elevation is right around 800-850 feet per google and the local airports website. so yeah, I might be bumpin the jets up a little.

James.

honda400ex2003
11-05-2011, 03:09 PM
you should be good with another 1/4 turn or so if it was running ok. Sometimes they can get lean enough to start popping and sputtering from being lean.

i wouldnt worry about it, just monitor the plugs and heat.

steve

wolfe 21
11-05-2011, 04:21 PM
lookin at rocky mountain right now, Kehein mains are about 1/3 the price of primary jets (shoulda bought'm both, but I didn't even look at mains) anyway, would a 152 be too far for right now. I'm thinking I'll just tack a jet onto my next order and hopefully I can pull the carb one more time then be done for a while. Rather be safe than sorry later, and besides it will hopefully run cooler with a little fatter fuel curve.
also, what is the correct spark plug for these engines. I usually only ride in 50 degrees plus weather, so?
Thanks for the help, James.

honda400ex2003
11-05-2011, 05:29 PM
if thats all you have a 152 would work i suppose. you could probably run with your lid off if you wanted to. give it a shot if it feels sluggish.

dpr8z is the recommended plug for them also

steve

gasguzzler
11-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Those moose carb kits are really nice and are way cheaper than buying all those parts individually from Honda (who doesn't offer a kit like that).

wolfe 21
11-06-2011, 03:31 PM
good to hear. I was surprised by quality once I compared the parts to the stockers after taking the carb apart. I just never really equated moose with a higher quality product. More of a budget line.
Anyway, I'll probably order a jet this week and see how it shapes up. Thanks, James.