PDA

View Full Version : Valve Springs (compressing)

fuddrucker
02-26-2003, 08:25 AM
What do you all use to compress the valve springs to change out the valve seals. Also where can I get a valve spring compressor for the 300EX motor?

Oh yea, do you need to take just the valve cover off to change the valve seals or do you need to remove the whole head? (Yes I have the manual but some people have found shortcuts.)

Thanks.

Scott400EX
02-26-2003, 08:36 AM
On my 400 the stock springs were so soft that i could push em down with my fingers and my friend took the keepers out with a magnet

putting the new ones in was the tricky part

roostu
02-26-2003, 08:58 AM
If I was you I would take the head off, to me it makes it easier to work on. Also if you need a valve spring compressor get one from a motorcycle shop. The ones you get from AutoZone and Checkers are for small block Chevy’s and stuff and are to big. If you go to a motor cycle shop or lawnmower repair shop get one for a Brigs and Stratton, they are much smaller and easier to work with.

anywhereEx
02-26-2003, 06:42 PM
on cars you can get adapters that screw into the plug hole and then you hook a air line from a compressor up to it and that will hold the valve in place. You do have to use a fair ammount of pressure so you might want to talk to Colby at C&D and see if he thinks this will hurt anything.
plus if you can do it this way it is alot faster and you may be able to get away with not having to take the cam out.