PDA

View Full Version : paint wont cure?

01boneless
11-03-2011, 08:23 PM
ok guys so i painted my quad frame with some implement paint NOTE : i have done this befor on a arms with great results) and i cant figure out why it wont cure /dry? i painted it a 5:00 and its 10:20 now and its still sticky to the touch and leaves finger prints :confused: i primed it 3 times shot a coat on and it went on great? the temp when i shot it was like 61-63 degrees and i though maybe that was to chilly so i got it set at bout 68degrees and still not cured it says 4-6 hours to cure on the can but it should be dry in 2 . i did not use thinner cause it was thin enough and it said i may not have to unless it was thick, no hardener either i just went by the directions as i did last time but it just isent right? any of you painters help me out?????

CJM
11-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Too cold. I wont paint things unless it at least room temp. I much prefer to paint in early may/june when its hot but not humid.

Otherwise id set the stuff to dry in your garage or shed with some kinds space heater and make it at least 80F in there.

01boneless
11-03-2011, 08:33 PM
well my garage is insulated great you think i put a kerosene heater in there and crank it up for a while itl help? hate to strip it back off cuase it looks great :D

mxpimp2000
11-03-2011, 08:38 PM
kerosene heaters arent good source for painting as they contain oil and cause paint to fish eye. If your using automotive paint use a medium or fast reducer for cold weather.

01boneless
11-03-2011, 08:43 PM
at this point a little fisheye isnt going to worry me as longs as it cures i wanted to do at least to coats any thing special i should do to the seconed coat?

mxpimp2000
11-03-2011, 08:45 PM
what kind of paint? base/clear? acrylic enamel? spray can?

it will dry but needs a warmer environment. acrylic enamel is a single stage and it wont dry fast at all esp if its cold

CJM
11-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Sadly I think its just to dang cold. I always used a propane heater or a kero powered reddy type blast heater.

I think no matter what you do its gonna be too cold to paint properly.

01boneless
11-03-2011, 08:50 PM
well im this far i cant just quit lol i guess ill crank her up and try my best :confused:

CJM
11-03-2011, 08:54 PM
id crank the garage door slightly so hopefully the kero fumes will go out and the room will just be heated a bit.

01boneless
11-03-2011, 09:11 PM
good idea thanks cjm PS i just check the parts and it seems the red parts are almost cured but the black still isent?

CJM
11-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Black paint might be slightly different formula or you painted it to thick.

I just painted a handle on a hammer I had with polyurethane. I only did 3 coats and it was in my basement where it was about 65F. It took a LONG time to cure, wasnt sticky to my hands but when i went to sand inbetween coats it was too tacky and I let it dry I think 4-5 hours.

I let it dry 24 hrs no issues.

01boneless
11-03-2011, 09:22 PM
well my parents dident like it but i hung my a arms in the house and ill check them in the morning the heat is set at 65-70 so it should do the trick if its gonna work :D

Tommy Warren
11-03-2011, 09:33 PM
the slower the paint cures the more durable it is...when i paint plastic I turn the a/c on in the garage to slow the curing process this makes it more flexable....just be patient

01boneless
11-03-2011, 09:40 PM
ok thanks tommy raptor riders arent all that bad after all :devil: haha JK but do you guys think i should lay clear coat down after im done with paint? maybe protect it?

slightlybent47
11-04-2011, 12:06 AM
You can use some heat lamps to help dry the paint or just some high watt lights put real close to the work. I have a wood heater in my work shop and if I paint something on a cool day I’ll hang it over the wood stove and let it bake for a few hours then let it cool and it’s good to go. The type of paint makes a deference also, oil based paint will take longer to cure. Drape a tarp over the work and put a few 100 watt lights next to it and let it cook over night.

01boneless
11-04-2011, 07:56 AM
UPDATE so it cured when i checked it this morning but still can use another coat so im gonna slap another coat on today and tomarrow some clear :)