PDA

View Full Version : American Guns

slightlybent47
11-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Ok so I’m watching American Guns and this guy comes in and wants two guns mounted under the bumper of his replica James Bond car.
If I understand rite the owner is a retired cop and he loves the idea and does the job.
I would think that would be highly illegal not to mention VERY dangerous.
In order for it to work the guns would have to have a bullet chambered and the safety off.
Hit a pot hole and bang!
There were no disclosures about it being legal or not so I only hope some nut doesn’t copy that and ride around.

smr
11-02-2011, 05:52 AM
it would depend on the state.

In Ky if the gun is in site or you have a conceal permit then you can pack it any other than a bar, voting both or sporting event. You can even pack it in a bank if you want.

CJM
11-02-2011, 06:48 AM
I also wondered about it, left an unsettling bunch of thoughts in my mind at least.

Wonder if it was just for the show or something..IDK. I think the shops in Colorado.

440racer66
11-02-2011, 08:01 AM
you can buy a .50 cal sniper rifle at 18. and guns mounted on cars scare you? its much more effective to have on in our hand driving down the road which is completely legal. haha it doesnt bother me at all what they do on these shows i think 99 percent of it is stupid.

CJM
11-02-2011, 08:05 AM
^ Your not very bright are you?

What bent is getting at is the LEGALITIES of mounting them to the car in such a fashion. Course some puny walthers are also pointless, but legally Im not sure if mounting them up to a car is ok.

slightlybent47
11-02-2011, 09:17 AM
I am also concerned with safety. The way they had it hooked up you would have to stop and chamber a round and take the gun off safety in order for it to work. So my guess would be he would ride around with it ready to fire and that would be very dangerous.
One pot hole and the guns may go off. They need to add a cable that would operate the safety as well.

CJM
11-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Well exactly, the actuator looks like nothing more than a car lock actuator. The bumps, potholes, etc would def set the gun off imho.

I think the whole idea was for show bs and nothing more.

trailrider894
11-02-2011, 11:01 AM
It would be a rough call... Since the gun isn't within reach or technically " in the car " I see no reason why its illegal... If they can be remotely shot, and or aimed by someone from inside the car or they can be fired from someone on the outside, then i don't know... I mean it isn't illegal to duct tape a 12 Gauge Shotgun to your hood, but if its loaded, and can be shot from inside the car... then your gonna have some problems...

slightlybent47
11-02-2011, 11:40 AM
I know if your hunting you can’t discharge a gun within 100 yards of a roadway.
Being that they can be seen from outside the car, then that makes them not counseled.
Shooting from a moving car is called a drive by and is illegal weather your holding the gun or not.
A kid could see them and investigate and shoot themselves or someone else.

I see all kinds of things wrong with the idea.

Could be just a show thing at car shows but without any disclosures someone could copy it and be riding behind you or me.

audioworks04
11-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I highly doubt that this guy drives his car around with two walthers mounted under his car. I am sure they are mounted just at shows and wanted it to be fully function for show points, items that dont function normally do not help your score. Side note: not really impressed with the fab work, not really anything special other than the billet blocks that are the mounts, and even they are not that special.

My question is how is the daughter, that is not even 18 yet, able to carry a 1911 on her hip all day? Dont get me wrong she looks good doing it, but she cannot legally own at 18.

slightlybent47
11-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by audioworks04
I highly doubt that this guy drives his car around with two walthers mounted under his car. I am sure they are mounted just at shows and wanted it to be fully function for show points, items that dont function normally do not help your score. Side note: not really impressed with the fab work, not really anything special other than the billet blocks that are the mounts, and even they are not that special.

My question is how is the daughter, that is not even 18 yet, able to carry a 1911 on her hip all day? Dont get me wrong she looks good doing it, but she cannot legally own at 18.

She may only carry it on the show when she is in the shop. With parental consent she would be able to do that. You don't need to be 18 to own and use a gun.

audioworks04
11-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I am aware that you do not have to be 18 to use a firearm, but inorder to carry a handgun in public I was under the impression that you had to be 21.

slightlybent47
11-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Maybe not if your in your own home or place of business. Not sure on that one.

smr
11-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
It would be a rough call... Since the gun isn't within reach or technically " in the car " I see no reason why its illegal... If they can be remotely shot, and or aimed by someone from inside the car or they can be fired from someone on the outside, then i don't know... I mean it isn't illegal to duct tape a 12 Gauge Shotgun to your hood, but if its loaded, and can be shot from inside the car... then your gonna have some problems...

like I said, it would depend on the state. In kentucky you can have it duct taped to the dash loaded with your hand on it and it's perfectly legal, It just has to be in plan sight. In tn....you better not put an uloaded gun in your gun rack...I got stopped for that.

trailrider894
11-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by smr
like I said, it would depend on the state. In kentucky you can have it duct taped to the dash loaded with your hand on it and it's perfectly legal, It just has to be in plan sight. In tn....you better not put an uloaded gun in your gun rack...I got stopped for that.

Well I'm Military Police, so I only know about stuff on Military Bases... and Missouri State Law.

SRH
11-02-2011, 03:07 PM
the better question is how does he aim...that show is corny...you know the flames coming out of the window was a explosion remotely controlled for show....

was there any purpose to this other than something interesting for the show?

ProspectorJim
11-02-2011, 03:15 PM
my biggest question wasn't whether it's illegal to do or not, but how can they charge 10,000 for slapping two walthers on blocks of aluminum and bolting it to the guys car.

trailrider894
11-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ProspectorJim
my biggest question wasn't whether it's illegal to do or not, but how can they charge 10,000 for slapping two walthers on blocks of aluminum and bolting it to the guys car.

Hard telling... its tv..

slightlybent47
11-02-2011, 04:00 PM
I think those prices are inflated for the show. Like storage wars the prices those people clamed to get for stuff is ridiculous. There’s no way there getting anywhere near that price.
Of curse there is a sucker bourn everyday. A fool and his money.

440racer66
11-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by CJM
^ Your not very bright are you?

What bent is getting at is the LEGALITIES of mounting them to the car in such a fashion. Course some puny walthers are also pointless, but legally Im not sure if mounting them up to a car is ok.

he also said he was worried about a nut job copy cat as well smart one.

dxcody
11-02-2011, 10:31 PM
what about when there is a mother and infant walking across the road in front of you and you have a loaded gun with no saftey pointing straight at them??

tayyo789
11-04-2011, 12:41 PM
The car also had smoke screens, and oil drops. I highly doubt it was ever intended for highway use. I know if I had one of those, whether it had Bond crap on it or not, it wouldn't see the street, shows only. They definitely should have clarified though

destey
11-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Maybe not if your in your own home or place of business. Not sure on that one.

According to the ATFs website

Q: May an employee of a licensed dealer, such as a manager or clerk, who is under 21 years of age, sell handguns and ammunition suitable for use in handguns for the licensee?

Yes, if the employee is not a prohibited person (e.g., a felon). However, to sell handguns, a person less than 18 years of age must have the prior written consent of a parent or guardian and the written consent must be in the person’s possession at all times. Also, the parent or guardian giving the written consent may not be prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. Moreover, State law must not prohibit the juvenile from possessing the handguns or ammunition.

18 U.S.C. 922(x)

destey
11-07-2011, 08:27 AM
This thread has a lot of information about the legalities of what they do. The show isn't too highly thought of on that site

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1239761_American_Guns_offical_herp_and_derp_and_ja ilbait_and_fake_tatas_thread_.html

edit: this site keeps mangling the url....