PDA

View Full Version : So many hybrid questions

mirror_racing
11-01-2011, 07:25 PM
So the story goes I have been all over the place on quads; from a 250x to the the Newly intorduced Z400 through Hybrids and production quads. Now that I have learned how to fabricate some what I decided to buil my own hybrid starting with a Houser frame, A-arms, and swing arm and Axis shocks. My buddy that went to MMi recommended a CRF motor so im planning on going that direction.

What filter boot do I need to run for an 03 CRF motor on a houser 250R chassis?
Where is the best place to get my axis shocks gone through (was told SF racing)?
Where is a good place to purcahse all my bearings?
Can I buy an exhaust to make it work or will it take some fabricating?
And last but not least, does anyone know where i can find a set of decently priced plastics and a seat?

mirror_racing
11-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Any help would be much appericated. Thanks

hartwill
11-02-2011, 05:01 AM
Send your shocks directly to custom axis, no one knows those shocks better and at $85 per shock for service and re-valve your Probly not gonna find a better price.
As for plastics, they are pretty expensive for a nice set and shipping is up there too. I have a descent set of whites and a seat but you need to use a 450r hood. Probly take $325 shipped for everything.
I think shipping on plastics is $80-$100
Check out the classified section under 250r

mirror_racing
11-02-2011, 12:17 PM
I was told that houser only bult these frames specifally for CRF and YZ motors so obviosly it is not a frame built for the 250r motor in it. PS anyone want to buy a 250R motor lol.

I will def get a hold of axis and send them my shocks for those prices and will search for your thread in classifieds. thanks

timmersam
11-02-2011, 03:10 PM
I had a Houser CRF, used a LT500 air boot, connected to a piece of large diameter exhaust piping, which was connected to the carb using a large diameter piece of radiator hose. This setup worked great for me, clean looking and very tight, never once hd a problem with it. I used a yoshimura tri-oval exhaust made for an 04-05 trx450r and head the pipe on the silence shortened and turned slightly to fit, as well as moving the location of one of the exhaust mounts. Had a local exhaust shop do it for like 40 bucks, and it turned out really nicely. I get my bearings from rockymountainatv, the Houser frames use early year yz426 pivot bearings for the swingarm, not sure why, the joke is that they just used whatever they had laying around lol. The other specific part you will need is the gas tank pecock connection. With the crf motor in the frame you will find that the stock petcock will hit the valve cover and not allow you to install the tank. Last time I talked with Houser they still had a stock of them. Give them a call they are great to work with and should be able to answer most of your questions. Hope this helps you,

Sam

mx Eli
11-02-2011, 06:54 PM
most 04-05 trx pipes work with alittle fab but not much.

sf racing is a good option for shocks, call seth and he'll talk you thru everything, customer service is amazing, helps with everything he can. highly recommended!

mirror_racing
11-03-2011, 04:46 AM
First off thanks to everyone for your informative input. I actually called houser yesterday and talked to them for a while about the different bearings. I will def ask about the fuel setup as well. I hear that the CRF frames are supposed to be notched at the top to comp for the height of the motor. I don't know if mine is done or not. I found some good deals on bearings from motosport and rockymountainatv.

I talked to Seth about the shocks and he said their axis guy left their shop so I'm planning on just sending them straight to axis. Possibly do some upgrades while they are there depending on the prices.

Hopefully I can restore this thing to what I know it can be.

mirror_racing
11-07-2011, 04:45 AM
I've got a busted steel braided brake line. Can I find these anywhere or do I need to order them from rockymountain?

hartwill
11-07-2011, 07:54 AM
I have a nice set of lines for sale if your interested let me know. $50 shipped. Stainless with clear rubber coating and red anodized fittings.

250x_kyle
11-07-2011, 10:37 AM
the notch is so that the valve cover clears the frame rail.

mirror_racing
02-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by hartwill
I have a nice set of lines for sale if your interested let me know. $50 shipped. Stainless with clear rubber coating and red anodized fittings.

Do you still have have the lines?

hartwill
02-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Yea I have a set. I'm not sure If it's the same ones or not but I do have some..

mirror_racing
02-14-2012, 02:11 PM
can you text me pictures? 812686one231

hartwill
02-14-2012, 09:50 PM
I will get some tomorrow. they are just regular old braided lines I do believe..

mirror_racing
02-15-2012, 03:46 AM
Ok. I'm just making sure they are in good condition cause I have two sets that I have bought that are messed up lol