PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

dxcody
11-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Pretty sure i know this but just to be sure,

I noticed the wheeler was leaking something out of the back of the head, was dripping from the intake boot off the back of the head where the carb goes..

I thought it was gas, touched it and its oil. Valve seals? <<<the only thing i didnt replace when i did the rebuild

CJM
11-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Valve seals would be soo little oil its not funny. Cant be them.

Valves could be letting oil come thru if they are worn out.

IDK, you sure its coming out of the boot and not dripping from say the head/gasket onto the boot area?

dxcody
11-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I was hoping you were right, and it was leaking from the rocker cover and just running down, but its not. :(

Felt all around the boot and the only place its dripping is from the bottom of the intake boot. Heads not cracked, valves didnt look very old when i installed the head, i even wire brushed them and looked them over and it didnt look like they had more then a couple hours on them.

It only drips, about a drop a minute if that, but heck i was thinkin valve seals idk..

My headgasket has about 30 mins of ride time on it, if i pull the head will i have to replace it again? I know its usually a must to replace the headgasket but i wasnt sure since it has only been ran for a short amount of time.

Thanks!

AtvKid4Eva
11-01-2011, 06:25 PM
yes, you should always replace the head gasket once it has been compressed..

CJM
11-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Yea gonna hafta replace the gasket if you pull the head.

dxcody
11-01-2011, 06:48 PM
i figured.. but then again i guess i shouldnt pull the head and waste cash until i know where the oil is coming from.

01boneless
11-01-2011, 06:56 PM
the only way it could push oil out of the boot is if the intake valves are not seating imho it could be head gasket have you looked it over real good?

CJM
11-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Did you re-grind the valves when you had the thing apart last? I always do this to ensure they seat well.

dxcody
11-01-2011, 09:38 PM
pulled everything apart, took the intake boot off the head, and the only place there was oil was on the bottom bolt hole of the intake boot... ?

it was dry as a popcorn fart in the intake port on the back of the head.. idk how its leaking from there but thats where its coming from.

the backside of the intake boot was dry except for that bottom bolt hole so it has to be where its coming from.

the little ledge on top of the head was dry so i know its not leaking down and just landing there.. I just put some silicone on the bolt and threaded it in and it stopped.. I dont really know what else to do..

Oh and also the jacka** that put my GTT studs in drilled down too far and drilled all the wat through the bottom of the stud seats.. any ideas on what to do about that? it leaks a little oil too, nothing serious but it does tick me off.. I had one of my dads buddies do it and he has been a family friend for years so i dont want to take it back to him and tell him he owes me a cylinder. JB weld possibly?

CJM
11-01-2011, 09:45 PM
JB weld might work, that sucks.

dxcody
11-01-2011, 09:54 PM
yea pretty much..

i have been having trouble getting it started lately too, and since my new pilot jets dont come in until late next week i threw my stock exhaust and stock jetting back in to see if that helps any..

i bought a 42 pilot and 48 and a 50 one of those should be the one i need i would say.