PDA

View Full Version : Valve spring tool?? Seals are getting close

Thumpin440ex
11-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Noticed that the bike has been smoking a little bit more now since it is getting colder. Like a tool I didn't do seals when I redid the engine( no clue why, think I totally forgot) None the less, canI use a regular valve spring compressor or does it need to be one specially for the quad?? Head is staying on the bike, I have never done springs in one of these before.. Have done a ton in cars but every beast can be different nature

Thanks John

dxcody
11-01-2011, 02:01 PM
i was wondering the same thing because when i rebuilt mine i didnt do the valve seals either and now they are due.. hope a car one works because ones for quads are like $100 for a good one. :confused:

crownandmonster
11-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Pump some air in the cylinder so the valve doesn't go bye bye and you should be fine.

CJM
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Honestly much easier to tear it down and do. Ive never seen a tool for quads where you could do it on bike.

The valve spring compressor I have is made by tusk. its nothing more than a c-clamp made to accept little fittings and you tighten it up, remove the keepers and voila springs out. Think it cost me maybe 35 bucks from RMATV.

01boneless
11-01-2011, 06:52 PM
lol i just went to o rileys and bought a flat bar spring compressor (5 bucks) and all you do is push down and have a friend take a magnet and pop the keepers out nothin to it :D

CJM
11-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
lol i just went to o rileys and bought a flat bar spring compressor (5 bucks) and all you do is push down and have a friend take a magnet and pop the keepers out nothin to it :D

Got a pic of that, Im curious b/c everyone I have ever tried didnt work to well.

01boneless
11-01-2011, 07:52 PM
ill snap one tomarrow im actully doing it on my 450r now :D all you do is where the little hole is that your suppsoed to put on a head hstud is where you push and let the keeper come up threw the hole quite easy

Thumpin440ex
11-01-2011, 08:24 PM
I was just curious.. No doubts if I do not have one that will work, I can make one.. CJM, def do not want to take the head and all off the bike.. It has less then 30 hours on it LOL

John

Thumpin440ex
11-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I have a tool similar to this, will it get in there to work?

John

01boneless
11-01-2011, 08:29 PM
id be willing to bet it sure would :D problem is leaving the head on you may drap the valve down in there but worst case you could go through the ports and guide it back up .

Thumpin440ex
11-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
id be willing to bet it sure would :D problem is leaving the head on you may drap the valve down in there but worst case you could go through the ports and guide it back up .

Na I have the tool that screws into the plug hole, fill the cylinder up with air.. Like I said I have done many valve seals in cars, along with springs and cam swaps.. just wanted to know that I didn't need some special tool to do so :D

John

CJM
11-01-2011, 08:35 PM
I tried to use one of those before, didnt work to well b/c theres not much to grab to pull on with it

01boneless
11-01-2011, 08:42 PM
heres what i use dont know how well itl work with the head on the quad i always put mine on the bench but they work fine for me :D