PDA

View Full Version : Modified Yamaha Woverines

ROLLIN
10-31-2011, 07:35 PM
I'd like to get a 4x4 that is more sport-like and not a boat. I'm thinking a 'woverine'. Post um up, and let me know how the mods worked out.

beastlywarrior
10-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Dude the old ones are sweet but the new ones im not so much a fan

rundrave
10-31-2011, 10:11 PM
im sorry but the wolverine doesnt have enough power to get out of its own way, not to mention its a 3-wheel wonder and not a 4x4

any reason why to rule out the scrambler? tons more fun factor and lots of go fast goodies in either a 2 or 4 stroke

if money isnt an issue get a renegade.

TheLane
11-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by rundrave
im sorry but the wolverine doesnt have enough power to get out of its own way, not to mention its a 3-wheel wonder and not a 4x4

any reason why to rule out the scrambler? tons more fun factor and lots of go fast goodies in either a 2 or 4 stroke

if money isnt an issue get a renegade.

2x renegade

backwoodsracer
11-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Scrambler=Polaris
Polaris=FAIL!

CJM
11-01-2011, 09:48 AM
3x can am... polaris...no way eww..

quad2xtreme
11-01-2011, 10:40 AM
If you are serious about a Wolverine, I'd contact Mickey Dunlap. He built the crap out of these back in the day. A 15 minute discussion with him might have you wanting one more than ever...or he might make you realize it just isn't worth it. He can truly give you the pros and cons and cost estimates to get the type of quad you want. If there is a mod to a Wolverine, he likely invented it.

I wouldn't doubt that he knows a few folks looking to sell a few of the ones he did too. And the good news is both of you are located in PA.

SRH
11-01-2011, 01:48 PM
i been down this road...wolverine is a kodiak 450 with different plastics...fun to mess around on but you cant ride it like a sport quad

scrambler feels like a 400ex thats 4x4 ...really fun ride but youll reach its limits and theres no where to go with the struts up front, way more competitive and fun than wolverine

only choice for a run 4x4 you can ride hard is convert a grizzly/brute force/sportsman or go to a renegade

quad2xtreme
11-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i been down this road...wolverine is a kodiak 450 with different plastics...fun to mess around on but you cant ride it like a sport quad

scrambler feels like a 400ex thats 4x4 ...really fun ride but youll reach its limits and theres no where to go with the struts up front, way more competitive and fun than wolverine

only choice for a run 4x4 you can ride hard is convert a grizzly/brute force/sportsman or go to a renegade

ah, I was thinking about the older Wolverines that were air cooled and all. These are the ones that Mickey used to modify for running the GNCCs . They were pretty sporty and much lighter in weight than the units out there today.

HondaPohl
11-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Does the Wolverine have the same motor as the warrior?

Hondamaster5505
11-01-2011, 07:21 PM
We used to have an 01 Wolverine (old style)

Yes, it's basically the warrior motor.

It was a great bike but had its weak points. If you upgrade the shocks/wheels/tires, and built the motor to a 446 stroker, it would be a fun ride!

Hondamaster5505
11-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Oh and ours managed to crack the frame in multiple places. I would recommend looking into frame strengtheners.

86 Quad R
11-02-2011, 07:36 AM
i've had the opertune to work with the wolverine in the past. it was the pre-2006 350cc 4x4 model and they can be made to run with the rest of them and are fun.

quad2xtreme
11-02-2011, 09:57 AM
If you are interested in the older model, I highly recommend calling Mickey. I believe Four Stroke Tech sponsored a GNCC race team that used the older Wolverine. He should be able to quickly rattle off the pros and cons.

I've thought about doing this so many times myself. I used to run a 2000 Kodiak like it was a sports quad. I did pretty well on muddy days against my friends on sport quads...especially if there were hill climbs.

SRH
11-02-2011, 11:10 AM
not being able to switch out of 4x4...air cooled...other than shifting and being able to add a hand clutch i dont see any advantage to it over the 450...

id rather have a scrambler 500 over both...i loved mine polaris rep for falling apart is greatly blown out of proportion ...if you take care of them they stay together...they feel like a sport quad too...on a budget its the best choice

heres a pic of mine

KXRida
11-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by SRH
not being able to switch out of 4x4...air cooled...other than shifting and being able to add a hand clutch i dont see any advantage to it over the 450...

id rather have a scrambler 500 over both...i loved mine polaris rep for falling apart is greatly blown out of proportion ...if you take care of them they stay together...they feel like a sport quad too...on a budget its the best choice

heres a pic of mine

I love the scramblers but I'm not a fan of their belt drive by any means. Mainly the factory intake points. You may have had the pleasure of getting the belt wet before. Still fun quads though.

SRH
11-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
I love the scramblers but I'm not a fan of their belt drive by any means. Mainly the factory intake points. You may have had the pleasure of getting the belt wet before. Still fun quads though.

yeah, i upgraded mine to a polaris rzr belt, and when i had it down siliconed everything no more issues...prior tho i did burn some belt

i really like cvt now that im used to it

beastlywarrior
11-02-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
We used to have an 01 Wolverine (old style)

Yes, it's basically the warrior motor.

It was a great bike but had its weak points. If you upgrade the shocks/wheels/tires, and built the motor to a 446 stroker, it would be a fun ride!
X2 yes the fst 446 motor is awesome

You can also get something for the wolverines so they have the 2wd option

Hondamaster5505
11-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by beastlywarrior
X2 yes the fst 446 motor is awesome

You can also get something for the wolverines so they have the 2wd option

Yep. You can buy a locker for the front that's still designed to slip when turning, to resolve the 3-wheel wonder issue, and warn makes a 2x4 selector so you can have a two wheel drive option.

Take the racks off, do some motor work, and the 2/4 selector, and get rid of the crappy stock shocks, and it would be an awesome little trail warrior.

Fred55
11-02-2011, 07:06 PM
With some parts you can also get a manual clutch from a Warrior to work on the Wolverine as well.

jcv400ex
11-02-2011, 07:22 PM
the 400 2 stroke scramblers with pipe and clutch work are a blast to ride. The Wolverines where fun to ride, but def have their limits as others have stated. The worst part about Polaris's are maintence parts are expensive. I went through alot of swing arm bushings and brake pads. The weirdest part at the 400 was no engine braking, I over shot a few turns on it!

400exrider707
11-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by SRH

heres a pic of mine

Bill, care to talk to us about the "Fuji knock?"
:D

Originally posted by jcv400ex
the 400 2 stroke scramblers with pipe and clutch work are a blast to ride. The Wolverines where fun to ride, but def have their limits as others have stated. The worst part about Polaris's are maintence parts are expensive. I went through alot of swing arm bushings and brake pads. The weirdest part at the 400 was no engine braking, I over shot a few turns on it!

Hotseat performance can build a mean 400 polaris. I remember back in the day they were turning out sport 400's that would make a banshee look like a kids toy. They had some that were pushing something like 70hp.

SRH
11-03-2011, 11:36 AM
lol well the fuji knock is when you first fire up your 500 the decompressor and all kinda **** making noise

polaris parts are cheap...everything interchanges

the 400 isnt as fun to ride hard as the 500 if u ask me...the 400 is a point and shoot rocket when setup right but not for the woods its just sketchy if you ask me

jcv400ex
11-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Yeah, the 400 is a handful in the woods. It's power is like a banshee, it winds up and slings your butt through the trees.

Wow Bill, parts did come down in price alot. I remember paying $20 a piece for swing-arm bushings, they're like 5 bucks now....must finally get them over seas! lol

HondaRacing83
11-03-2011, 02:28 PM
the polaris 400 is a rocket

jesshamner
11-03-2011, 02:39 PM
I had the pleasure of riding a worked Polaris 400 sport. Yes it was a rocket. The pipe was deafening though. The greatest part was that after all the work to the motor, the owner never did any suspension work. The rear shock had about an inch of travel left in it. It needed to be rebuilt. That made it sketchy in the woods, but besides that, it was fun. They're really heavy though..especially while at the time I was riding a 400ex.

skyeryder
11-03-2011, 05:39 PM
If your on a budget and want a UTE that is fast and fun to ride look into finding a used Kawi Prairie 650 these things will go anywhere and motor has been around long enough there is mods everywhere, not to mention this is the quad that basically started UTE racing in the GNCC's. research some of the ones Penland rode

SRH
11-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by skyeryder
If your on a budget and want a UTE that is fast and fun to ride look into finding a used Kawi Prairie 650 these things will go anywhere and motor has been around long enough there is mods everywhere, not to mention this is the quad that basically started UTE racing in the GNCC's. research some of the ones Penland rode

i had a brute sra after my wolverine and scrambler...basically the same as the prairie...i loved that quad....my fav by far...cdi...pipe and rejet..it was a beast would love to get another one and set it up again

skyeryder
11-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I guess i should have mentioned that the prairies and brute SRA's are solid axle so they can still have a sporty feel