PDA

View Full Version : 400ex bushings

jkosakowski
10-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Will a 16 piece modquad a arm bushing kit do all the a arms and can you explain how they work do you just put the sleeve in the center and put the bushings on the end? Thanks

CJM
10-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Are your bushings really bad? Squeaking means they could just need to be lubed, grinding means replace them b/c the bearings are bad. My 400 is a 2000, they squeak slightly but are fine, I put some wheel bearing grease on it all, it goes away for a few months and comes back-but I ride in the sand. If my 400 is that old and the things are fine, chance are yours are too.

If you must know however they go in with little snap rings, have bushings, bearings and dust seals. So long as the kit your looking at has all that it should work.

See here: http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2000-honda-trx400ex-fourtrax-ex/o/m2657#sch101668

quad2xtreme
11-01-2011, 10:59 AM
It is a replacement for the stock setup. So, you have to remove the stock bearing first which requires removing two c-clips. It is a capital B I T C H to remove these. You will need a sharp dental pick tool. Once I get these out of a set of a-arms, I do not reinstall them even when replacing the bearings. I tend to use replacement bearings from bossbearings.com.

The issue I had with the setup you are thinking about is having the sleeve get stuck on the stock bolt that goes through it. I ended up having to cut them out.

I also found that the sleeve/brass bushing combo didn't last long at all before it was loose.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I find most squeaking on a stock setup comes from the lower shock sleeve/bushing not having enough grease. I am a master at greasing this spot from doing it before almost every ride. I am the rare person who loves stock 400ex shocks!