PDA

View Full Version : Ramps

scotteam
10-31-2011, 02:07 PM
Okay can unload atv out of my truck on my ramps no problem. However, when trying to reload the base of the ramps on the ground slide forward and the tailgate lifts up not allowing me to drive up on the ramps. In fact i cant even get started up them. Any suggestions?

derekhonda
10-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Sounds like your ramps might not be long enough, but here are a couple options:

1. Put an end on your 2x10 like this, should hold it in place
http://cdn.autoanything.com/images/products/med/hitch_accessories/lund_truck_ramp_kit.jpg

2. Learn how to lift it up in there. Tilt quad on grab bar, push up to truck. Slowly let front wheels down onto tailgate. You (or you and buddy) pick up on grab bar and shove in.

KXRida
10-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Most ramps now have straps that you can tie down to the trailer hitch or bump, if not just use your tie downs/ratchet straps. If worse comes to worse, back up to a hill or mound where the ramps level a little more.

KXRida
10-31-2011, 03:16 PM
lol just don't do this

http://www.youtube.com/user/KXRida?feature=mhee#p/f/5/9ZxCSJ-FHQo

scotteam
10-31-2011, 04:20 PM
That is exactly what i dont want to do. However the issue i am having is not being addressed. When the atv is in the truck i can back down the ramp well. That is not the issue. When i load it the part of the ramp on the ground slides toward truck rather than staying still so that the atv can climb into truck. That is with the ramps ratchet strapped to the tailgate.

scotteam
10-31-2011, 04:22 PM
As far as lifting the atv that is not really an option did you review the weight. I would have to be a body builder to do that.

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
10-31-2011, 04:37 PM
You need longer ramps.

CJM
10-31-2011, 04:50 PM
Longer or ached ramps. Also dont go up slow, you want to roll over the ramps rather quick, pop into the bed and nail the brakes-least thats how I do it.

Quality ramps are $ but worth it. I have a cheap set I got for free, what stops them from moving is I attached a set of chains to the one ramp sides on each ramp and use a small S hook on the other end to hold onto the tiedowns in my truck-they wont move then.

Also the size of the baseplate that goes onto the tailgate might be to small, Ive turned down several ramps b/c all they have is those stupid small fingers-wider the base better it holds.

lastly how slick is your bed liner-really stick you need to tie the ramps forward or they will move no matter what.

KXRida
10-31-2011, 04:53 PM
if all else fails... buy a trailer. I got tired of loading bikes/quads into a lifted truck.

HondaPohl
10-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Is your truck lifted? I had to back up to a little hill with my lifted dodge. But yeah. Longer ramps.

buck440
11-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by HondaPohl
Is your truck lifted? I had to back up to a little hill with my lifted dodge. But yeah. Longer ramps.

that is kinda what i do. back the truck in a ditch and ride'er on out.

chronicsmoke
11-02-2011, 06:42 AM
I had a young guy with an old lifted Ram 2500 come and buy a z400 I had. His buddy places the ramps, I ask him if he needs help, but laughs and says they do it all the time.

Takes a running start, misses one ramp and totally EATS $hit, bike went completly upside down with him underneath. Hardest I've laughed in my life (from my garage), I dont think he could see me, hahaha..

nkillian9
11-03-2011, 12:48 AM
instead of attatching the straps or tiedowns to the tailgate try attatching them to the underside of ur bumper

XCRacer236
11-03-2011, 07:26 AM
I don't understand why everyone feels the necessity to tie the ramps to the truck anyway. I never have and the ramp has never slipped an inch and I've been doin it for 6 years.

nkillian9
11-03-2011, 10:58 AM
i dont tie mine up either in my nissan but when i had my f150 i ted them up cause the same ramps would spin out from under me, it was taller than my nissan could be crappy ramps but they work on the smaller truck, they are arched

buck440
11-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by XCRacer236
I don't understand why everyone feels the necessity to tie the ramps to the truck anyway. I never have and the ramp has never slipped an inch and I've been doin it for 6 years.

after my dad broke his back on his 250r loading it up and me slipping the ramps too i now think it's manditory. you don't need them but you'll wish they were on when/if it falls.

muddy400EX
11-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Most ramps now have straps that you can tie down to the trailer hitch or bump, if not just use your tie downs/ratchet straps. If worse comes to worse, back up to a hill or mound where the ramps level a little more.

damn dude, you must talk some mad chit to peeps on youtube,haha

KXRida
11-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
damn dude, you must talk some mad chit to peeps on youtube,haha

say what?

OldGuyonaQuad
11-04-2011, 02:47 PM
I have fallen 4 times since last thanksgiving and three of those times was in my driveway loading into the bed of my Dodge Ram.

Assuming you have the metal ends as shown in the first reply, drill a hole into the plate and put a bolt through it with a washer and nut on the bottom then line up your ramps with the quad and drill holes into the tail gate and liner. Slip the bolts into the holes and your ramps will never slip again I promise.

Kovatch
11-04-2011, 04:02 PM
I used the ramp end kit from Autozone. I had a '03 F250 4x4 with 2" taller tires. I bought a 2x10x12'. My ramps were only 6' long. I used that sand paper tread on the ramp to assist if the tires were wet. I never had them push up the tail gate or have I used the pins to secure it to the tail gate.

How long are your ramps now? They must be too short causing the tailgate to push up.

mineralgrey01gt
11-06-2011, 08:53 AM
I was walking in Tractor Supply Co. one day and found mine on sale. Regular $175 for $100. They are real long and arched so its nothing to get mine into the bed of my truck. Its not lifted but still works good.

scotteam
11-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
if all else fails... buy a trailer. I got tired of loading bikes/quads into a lifted truck.

I have a trailer with ramp on it. I am trying to avoid having to run with trailer as it is not always possible to have parking for both.

scotteam
11-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Ok i learned the ins and outs from this forum. I did my own research as well. In the end figured out the ramps i had are okay however not what i needed. I purchased a tri fold ramp. It cost 99.00 at tractor supply.

The tie downs are ecential and any one not using them should get hurt once to experience why they are there or listen to those that have. I hope that the injuries are not serious. Bottom line they are there for a reason. If you weld and you dont put on eye protection we all all know you will have eye issues. If you work around loud equipment and dont use hearing protectors you will go deaf. Bottom line these devices are there to protect you so the straps are as well.

Straps position is ecential as well. My father in law thought they were to attach to the tailgate as did i. Not the case. Most of you are telling me the same thing. Now look at it. The hooks go on your trailer hit chain loops. The angle of the straps holds the ramps to the tailgate and tight to the ground at same time. You adjust the straps to have the ramp tight. When it is adjusted properly dont change it. lift the ramp up and than detach the hooks. hook the hooks than set the ramps. Works like a charm.

As far as jumping into back of truck and slaming brakes. To me this is a bad practice. If you go up the ramp at steady pace so that no hesitation is created your golden.

I learned a lot from you and from others. i feel safer because of it. My findings above i wanted to share so everyone can stay safe. I appreciate all the help.