PDA

View Full Version : Need gaskets P/N

05DodgeDakota
10-31-2011, 08:28 AM
About to pick up my parts from the engine builder, but I still have not ordered gaskets. I'd like a complete kit that includes everything for the top end AND bottom. Anyone got a link?

01boneless
10-31-2011, 09:28 AM
if the link dosent work just go on ebay type in cometic 400ex gaskets full kits will be like 45 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Gasket-Kit-Set-Honda-TRX400EX-TRX-400EX-99-04-/110735194035?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19c854f7b3

:D

CJM
10-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Buy the bottom stuff OEM separate, you NEED cometic topend gaskets. This set comes with the rocker cover, head and base gaskets along with the valve cover bolt gaskets and timing chain tensioner gasket. Its well worth the money: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190518644764?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

ebay item # 190518644764 just in case link doesnt work.

05DodgeDakota
10-31-2011, 04:54 PM
what would you (CJM) think about running the GT Thunder Head Gasket? It is .005 thicker so it would bring down the Compression ratio some too.

Also where do you think I should start with jetting so I can order some jets.

And I forgot to mention that I ended up going with the Stage 1 Hotcam.

I fractured 2 ribs in a riding accident so I haven't benn messing with the bike much. I did get my parts back today, and I emailed GT Thunder about doing the head studs, I'm just nervous about shipping my cylinder because I don;t the bore or gasket surfaces getting messed up

CJM
10-31-2011, 05:44 PM
GTT head gasket is a cometic, guaranteed.. I doubt Laz would have a custom gasket made up. Id go cometic, I used them on every rebuild I have ever done-no leaks, did the same for a few buddies no issues either. You want to make damn sure its the multi-layered steel ones that are viton coated aka MLS and not the cheaper junk fiber ones, thats all.

About the only gaskets I tend to re-use is the rocker gaskets since they are just metal and dont go to hell after you take everything apart. FWIW Ive had my topend apart 3x in the last few years (1st rebuild, 2nd teardown after going into water and 3rd the recent 426). Cometic never let me down. I also take 320 grit sandpaper and sand down all mating surfaces and finish it off with 600grit. Does it help clean up the surfaces-yes, is it needed, probably not.

As for the rest, figure between 165-172 main, 42 pilot. Id jet on the richer side even if the plugs a bit fouled-your high compression and reg gas setup you spoke about will not be happy if you jet on the leaner side due to the heat. That or jet it right on and mix 50/50 100+ and highest pump you can find.

As for the rest: Stage 1 cam should be ok, a stage 2 woulda been a bit better mid/topend power tho.

As for shipping them the cyl, well worth it. There address can be a pain sometimes in the shipping system tho, UPS just made me up a label and it found its way there, guy at the UPS place said he couldnt find the addy properly tho. I shipped mine in a box with foam peanuts and alot of bubble wrap and then put it in another box with more peanuts. No issues, they sent it back in 2 boxes as well and put paper shredding all over, came back fine.

05DodgeDakota
11-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the tip about lightly sanding the gasket surface. I think what I'm gonna do is order the studs and have a local machine shop do the install.

CJM
11-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Be warned! The studs are meant to be used with whats called a "roll formed tap" This cuts the threads in a different way than a regular tap does and its how GTT does it. You can use a regular tap, but it wont be as strong apparently.

Buddy of mine had them installed by someone else, he used a reg tap and its been fine-but he doesnt have much time on it.

05DodgeDakota
11-01-2011, 04:42 PM
well when i called my local guy he asked which method they used and i didn't know what to tell him. thanks for the tip