PDA

View Full Version : thinkin bout TT

250rsforlife
10-30-2011, 07:56 PM
hey im thinkin bout racin TT next year cuz im redoin my 250r over the winter and thought bout makin it race ready can someone give me a ball park figure on how much it would cost to make my 250r race ready all its got now is full fmf and brand new sprockets and chain i know i need alot so hopeing you can help me out thanks

mx Eli
10-30-2011, 09:09 PM
depends what level you want to race. could spend 10 grand or you could spend 2 grand all depends on how fast you want the quad to be

250rsforlife
10-31-2011, 06:39 AM
I was thinking right around 2-3 grand cuz I don't want to start at a high level I wanna start low and if I'm good work my way up

250rsforlife
10-31-2011, 05:45 PM
and another thing my parents thought of was do i have to be 18?? i really hope not

89trx250r
10-31-2011, 07:00 PM
I would highly doubt it most classes are 16 and older if i recall

250rsforlife
10-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Ok that's good but I'm still kinda on the fence between TT and freestyle so idk it depends on how many tracks I can find in Illinois

mx Eli
10-31-2011, 08:35 PM
with a 250r you might be able to get away with being younger then 16, i think up here in d-16 open b you can race a 265 if your 14 also its only for flat track/tt (not 100% sure)

for alot of races/classes 16 you can run anything

C-LEIGH RACING
11-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Go to this site if you need TT info.
http://www.edtracing.com

That site, is for the AMA/ATVA Extreme Dirt Track national series (TT).
All that run the national TT series, go to this site for any info they need.

On any page on that EDT site, down at the very bottom of the page, it has the AMA logo, if you click on that it will take you direct to the AMA Racing web site for more in depth information.

Ill & the surounding states, have quite a few places to race. There was a promotor out of Ill, Steve Nace, that ran a bunch of races at different places, most were at fair grounds & some were during the times the fair was going on.
Been awhile since I've had any contact with him, so dont know if hes still doing the promoting or not.

We would be glad, to have you come run the ATVA national TT series with us.
We've released our 2012 race date & location schedule & so it will be listed on the EDT site.

Far as setting the bike up, if I read your post right, your thinking around maybe 2~3 you can spend on your bike.You can do quite a bit with that amount.

First thing you need, is +2+4 rear axle so you can adjust the width of the bike for different tracks & types of dirt.
Second, +2+1 a arms, to widen the bike & make it handle even better.
Third, shocks, this is where it can get high priced, but if you shop around you can find used in good shape & normally at a good price.
You'll need a front shock in the 15 1/2" to 16 1/2" long range to lower the bike to the proper height.
Rear shock, if you have a good stock rear shock, you could have it changed over to work for TT, or could find a used one on the net already set up. You can find Works, Elkas, & some PEPs, with the PEPs normally costing more.
You'll need a front sway bar, so check around for one of those on the net as well.

Tires & rims, you could use your stock front rims if need to, because they are the right size for TT tires.
Rear rims, you'll need 10X8, 10X9 or 10X10, because the American Racer or Hoosier tires are all 10" rim.
American Racer has some 8" tires that some use, 18X9.50X8 but are 44 compound, which are real good on real hard packed tracks.

TT, is all about high speed & power sliding around the corners, you need to set the bike up to handle that, so keep it low as you can to keep it from tipping over.

I'm a 2 stroke nut & if you do decide to run the nationals, I'll be around normally at all the races & can help you some to keep the ol 2 smoke going.
Check out our EDT site & then see if you can find the site for Steve Nace, he did have a site at one time, but been awhile for me so dont know if hes still working.
Before I forget, AMA/ATVA rule, you got to be at least 16 years of age to race anything over a 90cc.
We have a School boy Jr 200/300cc & a Schoolboy Sr 300/400cc classes, but both are "production rule" so would need to be a bike built today.
We have 26 different classes, so theres one or two if not three you can sign up in & race.
Neil

quad9
11-01-2011, 03:14 PM
your in D17 area.... iam in the same boat as you. iam building a 250r for this next year also.....
been running the 450r, but now iam going old school...

dustin_j
11-01-2011, 03:18 PM
M@ul Tech ATV has been spending a lot of development and race time in TT. They are in Jacksonville, IL and Andy could tell you what races and series are available.

250rsforlife
11-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all the info guys I'll defiantly be lookin into it soon

250rsforlife
11-01-2011, 04:47 PM
And what back size rim do u think I should run like to be better or does it matter

quad9
11-01-2011, 05:16 PM
10x10 if you can find them....
there is an indoor series in duquoin this winter also.. 1st race is weekend after thanksgiving

250rsforlife
11-01-2011, 05:29 PM
K thanks I'll prolly be down there checkin it out not racing yet tho

quad9
11-01-2011, 07:38 PM
stevenaceracing.com

wilkin250r
11-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Speed and stability. Neil (C-LEIGH RACING) knows his stuff inside and out, he can give you the details on being competitive on the national level.

But if you're looking for an absolute bottom-price budget, I was able to be competitive with just a +4 axle, rear lowering strut, and +2 A-arms with the stock shocks. The shocks were really soft and had a lot of sag, coupled with the rear lowing strut, gave me a really low center of gravity. It's not the ideal setup, certainly, but I wasn't looking to spends $5g just to get my feet wet in the TT racing arena. It was enough to grab a couple 1st place trophies, and it was dirt cheap.

250rsforlife
11-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Sweet cuz that's what I'm lookin for thanks for all the info guys

C-LEIGH RACING
11-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Now if you want to go real cheap, find a good pair of front Yamaha Blaster shocks, narrow the top eye so they will fit into the 250R frame & go.
The lenght of the blaster shocks, will lower the front end to just about the right height & the mounting points on the lower a arm will stiffen their action some, make cornering easier.

Rear tires, find some 8X8 rear rims & then get a pair of 18X8.50X8 riding lawn mower tires. Get the mower tires with the rounded edges though.
Front tires, we ran for years with a pair of fast treckers on the front, because they had a flat tread surface.

All this stuff you can find cheap somewhere, no need to spunk out the big money for the fancy stuff.

Once you try TT racing out & if you like it, you can go little by little getting a lot of the good stuff, but when you get to that point, think about a sway bar first.
Neil