PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem

jake"08"400
10-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Well I think I burnt up my clutch :( I have adjusted it all the way out and all it does is just barley frees up my motor enough to push it but makes a grinding sound ( this is only when I engage the clutch in gear with the motor off not on ) so I'm pretty sure it's shot. My question is are tusk plates really good are should I just go ahead with oem plates? Any tips or hints anybody wanna share with me? I'm pulling the side case tomorrow. Anything else I could do while I'm in there? First clutch work ive done and need all the advice I can get!

Thanks guys again,

99_300ex
10-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Well mines a 450r but I have the tusk and have had no problems. So I would say go tusk cause their def good for the money.

01boneless
10-27-2011, 08:47 PM
tusk makes great kits for 400exs and 450s for that matter

CJM
10-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Tusks fine, but dont rule out an overly stretched or bad cable first.

Im still on my stock clutch btw..

jake"08"400
10-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Maybe that's what's wrong but I dout it it's been getting worse now for a while. After I replace it I'm going to drain and flush all that synthetic oil out of my 400 and put some good ole fashion rotella in it I honestly think that's what's wrong with the clutch. I had a old rt100 and gave it hell holding the clutch have way in all the time and not using it proper and it lasted longer than my 400 and it was bought used I watched them take my 400 off the truck and assemble it....so screw synthetic in these motors

dirtrider420
10-28-2011, 05:10 AM
i got a tusk clutch in my quad and love it.it took me 45 minutes to do the whole install and was actually easy then what the shops try to say wasnt.

Stickman400
10-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Tusks fine, but dont rule out an overly stretched or bad cable first.

Im still on my stock clutch btw.. Well then you're not riding hard enough. You need to be feathering that clutch like a mad man. lol But back OT, I've used Tuck clutch plates and spring both times I've replaced my clutch so far and they work great.

CJM
10-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Well then you're not riding hard enough. You need to be feathering that clutch like a mad man. lol But back OT, I've used Tuck clutch plates and spring both times I've replaced my clutch so far and they work great.

When you know how to use a clutch and dont ride it you can easily make it last. I dont use it to shift up or down alot, I can let it slip into gear properly.

Stickman400
10-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by CJM
When you know how to use a clutch and dont ride it you can easily make it last. I dont use it to shift up or down alot, I can let it slip into gear properly. Oh, I quick shift in my truck, but I ride pretty hard and there's no way I could do it while I'm riding my wheeler. It also doesn't cost as much to replace them in the wheeler as it does a truck, so oh well.

CJM
10-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Oh, I quick shift in my truck, but I ride pretty hard and there's no way I could do it while I'm riding my wheeler. It also doesn't cost as much to replace them in the wheeler as it does a truck, so oh well.

I suppose..lol. I kinda can shift just fine usually, only use the clutch when I have too.

jake"08"400
11-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Well good news guys, I adjusted the bottom adjustment on the ex and I have a clutch again! Whoohoo. Only problem being is that I have it backed out as far as you can without the nut falling off. So more than likely il still be doing a clutch rebuild before long but at least I have time to get my stage 1 cam and a 450r cam chain since that's my next upgrades I have in mind for it. But one quick question. Will I need to replace my tensioners and if so what's the best ones to go with?

duneslider
11-03-2011, 12:25 AM
If you have the adjuster out that far you might want to get a cable too.

CJM
11-03-2011, 06:46 AM
Stock tensioner and guides. It would be a good idea to replace if you check the tensioner and it doesnt spring back to well and if the guides are worn.