PDA

View Full Version : Shock Set Up / Weight Factor

JD400exrider
02-25-2003, 08:02 PM
How close do you need to be on the weight set up on front shocks. My point is If you are buying a new shock having it set up for your exact weight and riding is the best way . If buying a used shock how close can you be to still handel or perform well. For trail and woods riding. Within 5,10, 20, 40lbs. ? A shock set up 30 lbs hevier is this going to be too stiff or will it perform OK or 10-20 lbs lighter weight will it be to soft to perform well. How close do the shock places set them up?

I know they can be revalved. What does that typicaly cost.

Any help would be great.

2000 400 ex
CHM pipe, CHM Air Scoops, Mussle Steering Dampner, Uni Filter, EHS modified Air Box Cover, Razors Rears Holeshot Fronts, CHM Brake Block Off, MSR Clutch Perch, Works Frame Guards, DG Bumper, Full Skid Plates, 15 tooth Front, 39 Tooth Rear, DID X Ring, Nacs Light Covers (No Stickers), Nacs Foot peg Extenders, Renthal bars, Pro Design Shifter.

Coming Soon Front Shocks

JD400exrider
02-25-2003, 11:59 PM
anyone?

YZROOSTINYA
02-26-2003, 04:42 AM
if your 180 i would not go more than 170 or 190

just my opinion

anymore from 150-200 for revalving

Dune Surfer
02-26-2003, 11:43 AM
I would guess at least 20-30 lbs either way. Works goes in 30lb incriments(sp). If the are adjustable (preload comp) I would feel safe going at least twenty lbs. ask Jeff or marty at the quadshop, they seem to know thier sh*t. Or call colby at C&D he seems pretty sharp. Good luck, Check ebay.

QuadTrix6
02-26-2003, 01:43 PM
IMO about 20lbs either way should be satisfactory

02-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Put on all your riding gear ..all of it..helmet..boots ect. and hop on the bathroom scale....that's what you should tell them..if you run XC you could proabbly add 5 more lbs for the extra mud and crap you pick up from it...;)

Ex'r Marlin
02-26-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
If buying a used shock how close can you be to still handle or perform well? For trail and woods riding. Well, my opinion... I would estimate +/- 50 pounds will still make a noticeable improvement. Obviously, the closer to your body weight the better... But I am sure it does not need to be exact. I know when I ride my buddies 400 setup for 170... and mine for 215, there is a difference, but much better than stock, and still handles very well... From both of our experiences!:)

If you go with used aftermarket shocks, it is recommended to get them revalved, especially if they have been used for a long time. But it might make sense to try them out yourself before you have them revalved... You may like the setup!

Good luck!