PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with Roll Design A -Arms

J51S
10-26-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm just looking for some good setups you MX guys are running. Overall height wise etc. I want to know how long of a shock I should go with without making the front end too tall.

19 1/4- 19 1/2 seem good but yet some are running 20".

If anyone wants to post there setup or maybe a picture to best describe your setup would be awesome!:D

Honda#4
10-26-2011, 06:38 PM
19.25" axis shocks is what I run, some people run 19.5" with a Roll setup but 20" is not common on a 400 maybe on a 450 not a 400.

Here's my setup

dustin_j
10-27-2011, 01:15 PM
You can measure for yourself to make sure you're getting an optimal/correct setup. Make sure your camber and toe are set well, and air up your tires. Next, remove all 3 shocks and place the quad 12" off the ground (recommended height by GT Thunder and many shock builders). Measure from frame upper shock mount to a-arm lower shock mount to determine extended shock length. Then, put the frame 1.5" off the ground and repeat to determine compressed shock length. The difference between the two measurements is the shock travel.

J51S
10-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Here's my setup
Honda#4 19.25" axis shocks is what I run, some people run 19.5" with a Roll setup but 20" is not common on a 400 maybe on a 450 not a 400. Here's my setup

Ya thats what I was leaning towards they look pretty good on yours.

dustin_j You can measure for yourself to make sure you're getting an optimal/correct setup. Make sure your camber and toe are set well, and air up your tires. Next, remove all 3 shocks and place the quad 12" off the ground (recommended height by GT Thunder and many shock builders). Measure from frame upper shock mount to a-arm lower shock mount to determine extended shock length. Then, put the frame 1.5" off the ground and repeat to determine compressed shock length. The difference between the two measurements is the shock travel.

Ya I thought about doing that sounds like a good idea

J51S
01-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Ok I have the quad off the ground and the a-arms are at optimal angle. And I'm measuring 18" eye to eye being good :huh .. Ive checked out alot of 400ex's with roll design A-arms and I set it up identical. 19.25 would put the arms at a crazy angle, and I doubt the shocks compress at all when the quads on the ground..

Guess I need help I dont want to go an purchase an expensive set of shocks and have them be wrong

dustin_j
01-10-2012, 07:49 PM
What are you calling an optimal angle? I'm guessing your lifting the frame until the A-arms look like they are at a "normal" looking angle, and measuring. The shocks do compress under the weight of the quad; this is called sag and a reason for using multi-rate spring setups.

I would recommend measuring with the frame 12" off the ground; this will be your extended shock length. Then, measure with the frame 1.5" off the ground; this is your compressed shock length. Obtaining shocks based on extended length only is a dangerous way to do it. The compressed length determines frame height at bottom out; if this length is too short, you will frame out.

Check out the video below to see what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFd_qeVrJ8I

J51S
01-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Very informative infor rite there^^ thanks. But for alot of the measurments it seems I have to already have shocks on the quad to get the standing peg weight etc.
So basically you just buy a shock then do the tests and send it to that guy to build it to spec? I didn't know it got that involved but the bottoming out point is pretty important.

dustin_j
01-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Andy's video is mainly setup for someone who has shocks and wants to send them to him to redo. I assume you are looking for used shocks? Most people just buy a used shock that the seller called LT, or ST, etc. Then throw them on and the setup is probably less than optimal. Try to get extended and compressed lengths when buying a shock to know if it is correct for your setup. There are some easy ways to correct lengths, but if they are far enough off the shock work will be expensive. If buying used shocks, the spring rates may be incorrect as well. The easiest way to determine is providing the measurement of the main spring length.

There are many factors to setting up suspension. This is why it is difficult to gauge peoples' experience with a certain brand shock. If the shock was purchased used, or not all info was revealed when it was built, they are riding on a compromised setup. This has a large influence on how the quad feels as you ride, obviously.

DragonGunner
01-11-2012, 02:40 PM
I have +1 Roll Design a-arms an have had Works shocks made for the 400EX, an now have Elka's that were made up for a 450R, they work great also.