PDA

View Full Version : Carnage/New wheels?

CJM
10-24-2011, 04:48 PM
1. Was riding for the 2nd time since I rebuilt the 400 to a 426 and had a wee little accident.

Riding VERY fast thru some rough trails and I looked back to make sure the other rider was behind me still (we ride in groups and usually look back to make sure we dont leave someone behind) and I clipped a tree with the left front tire pretty dang good. If I didnt have the CNC stablizer I think I woulda flew off-it kept the bars in my hands believe it or not!

Results are: Bent the tie rod, probably will need new tierod ends-the ball/socket joints seem looser than the other side, and bent the HELL outta the wheel.

Ive since bent the tie rod back enough its ok and snugged up the slightly loose TRE's. I also pounded the wheel a bit but shes done for. Hey OEM honda fronts are pretty danged tough they've held up to abuse since I got the quad in 2006.

2. So I need a new wheel-gonna buy a set. Wanted to do the rocky mtn g-force XC wheels since they are supposedly good and cheap but alas they stopped selling fronts in our bolt pattern. They do now make a slightly more $ model called the XC-1 but IDK. I know RMATV has a SUPERB return policy but Im wary. They also carry STI brand alloys which seem good too, one reviewer said they raced a GNCC with them no issues.

Course nothing beats OEM fronts, they dont chip or bend to easy imho. But at 100/ea thats just nuts. Id buy beadlocks but for the cost I dont think so right now.

So whose got what wheels and how did they hold up to abuse? I ride in mostly sandy/woodys trails but we have rocks too.

honda400ex2003
10-24-2011, 05:05 PM
douglas .190s are decent for the price imo. ive had good luck with my set that i have on my mud sharks. they are a bit heavy but would be strong for the weight of them.

too bad the quad roks arent made any more, they have rolled edges on them like the oem ones do.

i tend to avoid itp wheels, ive never been a big fan of them.

even .170 thick would probably work out well for general riding in woods and stuff. I would def buy a set of them if i was going to get another set that was cheaper.

just my .02 though, lol sounds about like my incident a while back. i flew off though and hit a log instead of a tree. glad you are alright!

steve

CJM
10-24-2011, 05:27 PM
I need the rolled lip Steve, thats the only thing keeping them from bending I think. The XC1 g-forces have rolled lips as do the STI's. Not sure what I will go with tbh, I really wish I could get some real pics of each and not just stock photos on the sites.

What i wont be buying again is douglass A5's. I had ordered quad rocks originally and they said they had them online, got a call that they dont carry them so I chose the A5. Rolled lip but geeze the AL is thin. I bent one wheel a bit already and nicked the heck outta the lips too with rocks. The stockers held up better, but they are on a set of paddles.

Im lucky I didnt seriously injure myself from the accident too. Thank god I didnt fly off or something.

Heres my 2 options:

G-Force XC1 (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=237&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&keyword=g-force+xc1&prodFamilyId=30664)

STI alloys (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=237&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&keyword=sti+wheels&prodFamilyId=29434)

supertrooper90
10-24-2011, 06:10 PM
I have the baja t9's, theyre a little heavy but they have been taking a beating through two rocky seasons of harescarmbles. I did put a bend in mine, but I had a flat tire in rocky terrain during a race, and was riding with no regard for the well being of that rim.

Honda.rider5871
10-24-2011, 06:26 PM
look in the honda for sale section , there's all kinds of people parting out bikes or selling brand new takeoff 450r oem wheels ( 250ex , 300ex, 400ex, and 450r wheels are all the same and even z400) . Just an idea, could probably get them for the same price as the 2 wheels you posted. Just a thought

Honda.rider5871
10-24-2011, 06:30 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=476205&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

CJM
10-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Of course I know I can buy stockers again, but not only am I sick of them, id rather have new and not worn/beat ones which is what you usually get.

But hey lets give it a shot, why not.

honda400ex2003
10-24-2011, 06:42 PM
the rolled edges are def nice, im just not a fan of g force really i guess. i was looking for some cheaper rims this fall and none of the designs really tripped my trigger. I would rather spend the money and get what i want rather than just buy some because i need them.

imo i would get another stocker to match the rest just to have the full set around in case you need them. I would then buy a full set of what i want with new tires on them. lol but that is a perfect world with about 500 bucks worth to drop on tires and rims. lol

steve

chronicsmoke
10-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Better open that wallet up, Mark!

Those CNC stabilizers awesome huh? Think what would have happened if you lost control..

Too bad you need a rim, there's always a ridiculously good deal that comes along.. I got the 4 Itp black beadlocks w/ almost new tires for $300+shipping for all 4..

If you try those XC1 wheels, write a review about them! :)

honda400ex2003
10-24-2011, 06:53 PM
i guess if i had to choose one of the 2 you have above it would be...

drum roll please

another drum roll

xc1

steve

AtvKid4Eva
10-24-2011, 07:02 PM
CJM-

I have a pair of LIKE NEW stock front take off from my 450r if your interested PM me. The stock wheels are a lot tougher than than the cheaper end .190 and have the nice rolled lip. The ONLY reason i took them off was for Hipers. Let me know man. Thanks.

CJM
10-24-2011, 07:03 PM
@ Chronic hit the tree and was going at least 25mph and although the bars absorbed the shock, the stabilizer did its job cause they never came outta my hands. The thing is worth it, whoops dont phase me nearly as bad anymore, rear wants to buck but the front keeps tracking straight. I have it cranked up to the highest setting.

Right now I got fairly new razr2's on the front. Both front stock wheels are bent, the one of course from this weekend is BAD and the other has a slight wobble. So I just need some new fronts for now.

I do need new rears as well but I think im gonna splurge for douglas bead locks or something later on and some razr rears. The kenda klaws are ok but float to much when turning.

Only have maybe a dozen or so rides left till it snows (we go every sunday usually) so its not a top concern. Its ridable now that I bent the tierod back, not super fun but it wasnt to badly noticable when at speed.

So sooner or later Ill get it all worked out. Course I wish I had money to beadlock the entire thing but thats $$$.

CJM
10-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Check your pms atvkid.

NMills
10-24-2011, 07:07 PM
I have a set of stock fronts... used... painted black on the outside... gimme a couple bucks over shipping and they are yours.... i had a tire shop put tires on them and they went flat... they blamed the bead but i don't see anything wrong with them... but then again... they seemed a bit shady... but then again... i'm not a rim guy... and i have not had time to re mount a different set on them either... and they are a bit dusty... if not.. no big deal....

HondaRacing83
10-24-2011, 07:18 PM
id go with the xc1's, get them in black! or search your local craigslist, going to pick up a set of douglas beadlocks in new condition for 50bucks soon. all beadlocks are good, except for rock beadlocks. stay away from rock rims. there like tusk, then again so is g force. ive got a better feeling about those g force ones over the rock ones though. id buy some used beadlocks if i were you or just save up and wait till you need new tires and buy a wheel tire package and get exactly what you want

AtvKid4Eva
10-24-2011, 07:43 PM
PM returned!

dirtrider420
10-25-2011, 06:25 PM
i got hole**** fronts and dunlop kt355 rear and love it

05DodgeDakota
10-26-2011, 05:41 AM
DWT ultimate conventionals

ridehonda400ex
10-26-2011, 06:19 AM
get a black rim. I think they look good on 400's. And you know what they say about black...once you go black ya never go back.!

chronicsmoke
10-26-2011, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
get a black rim. I think they look good on 400's. And you know what they say about black...once you go black ya never go back.!

I like black too.. there are 2 XC Hiper rear rims and tires for $200 in the classifieds section..

CJM
10-26-2011, 07:41 AM
For now another forum member has generously offered brand new wheels for an excellent price. I appreciate everyone being so kind to make offers as well.

What I planon doing is beadlocks in the rear sooner or later and maybe beadlock fronts or DWT rockouts. The stock wheels held up for some time so I cant really complain. The terrain Im normally in is more sandy than rocky anyways.

CJM
10-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Just wanted to report in: Mounted my old tires to the new wheels and everything seems to be ok. Thanks very much to atvkid for the wheels as well.

To everyone who offered me a set: I do appreciate it, but I couldnt pass up the deal he made me.