PDA

View Full Version : YFZ450R 09 or YFZ450X 10

THORrider350
10-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Hopefully this isnt to dumb of a question... What is the difference between a 2009 YFZ450R and a 2010 YFZ450x? I am looking to buy one and stuck between the two..

any help appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin

atvextremerider
10-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by THORrider350
Hopefully this isnt to dumb of a question... What is the difference between a 2009 YFZ450R and a 2010 YFZ450x? I am looking to buy one and stuck between the two..

any help appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin
the only difference is that the R is 50 inch wide and the X is 46-48 wide i think. they both have fuel injection

XCRacer236
10-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Theres quite a few differences...

The R is 50" wide, X is 46" wide.
ECU map is more broad on the X for XC.
99% sure the camber is a couple degrees different on the X.

Can't remember anything else right off the top of my head.

IMO though, I would find an 08 or 09 Carb'd YFZ..

THORrider350
10-23-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by XCRacer236
Theres quite a few differences...

The R is 50" wide, X is 46" wide.
ECU map is more broad on the X for XC.
99% sure the camber is a couple degrees different on the X.

Can't remember anything else right off the top of my head.

IMO though, I would find an 08 or 09 Carb'd YFZ..
I like to ride trails and climb hills so an X sounds better, but I am getting an amazing deal on a R. What does it mean the camber is a couple degrees different and what does it mean more broad on the ecu? Sorry if I sound slow... Just not sure on this stuff

XCRacer236
10-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by THORrider350
I like to ride trails and climb hills so an X sounds better, but I am getting an amazing deal on a R. What does it mean the camber is a couple degrees different and what does it mean more broad on the ecu? Sorry if I sound slow... Just not sure on this stuff

The X was built for woods but with the R technology. Both are good bikes. If your gonna race XC, the X is better to start with. But if your just a trail rider and not a real serious racer, the R will do you just fine.

The camber is an adjustment with the front wheels. I looked it up and the caster is what is different. That is also an adjustment on the front wheels. Has to do with how they are positioned on the a-arms and front ball joints.

As for the ECU, the power is more spread out so it's more mellow, makes it a little easier to ride in the woods.

No problem with questions, it's how you learn and what we are here for.

Kovatch
10-24-2011, 06:45 AM
The R is just under 49" @48.8 and will narrow a little bit to 48.5" when you put MX tires on it as they aren't as wide as the stock ballon tires. The X is just a bit over 46" wide.

The R uses 18.25" long shocks up front and the X has 16.5" or 16.75."

If you can find a great deal on an R, it wouldn't hurt to get it. If you can save $1000 over an X, why not? Do you think on the trails you ride, the extra 2" of width will hurt you that much? I've trail ridden my R a few times and never had an issue. On the rarest of occasions I have needed to squeeze a tree and made it. I have also trail ridden with a Polaris 800 two-up with wide mud tires (over 55" wide) and its fine on the trails too...

I don't think the 2" will be a difference, but that's my experience. If you feel the R is in good shape for the price, go for it.

THORrider350
10-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Kovatch
The R is just under 49" @48.8 and will narrow a little bit to 48.5" when you put MX tires on it as they aren't as wide as the stock ballon tires. The X is just a bit over 46" wide.

The R uses 18.25" long shocks up front and the X has 16.5" or 16.75."

If you can find a great deal on an R, it wouldn't hurt to get it. If you can save $1000 over an X, why not? Do you think on the trails you ride, the extra 2" of width will hurt you that much? I've trail ridden my R a few times and never had an issue. On the rarest of occasions I have needed to squeeze a tree and made it. I have also trail ridden with a Polaris 800 two-up with wide mud tires (over 55" wide) and its fine on the trails too...

I don't think the 2" will be a difference, but that's my experience. If you feel the R is in good shape for the price, go for it.
the width isnt an issue for that trails we ride as i take my 60.5 inch RZR S through them all. My thing was, i just didnt know if it was going to be different like power wise? like if the x having more bottom end and the R more top? I like to climb his and being a bigger dude i like to have some *** in the bottom end haha

Kovatch
10-25-2011, 08:14 AM
I don't think it would make a huge difference if you went with the R or X. Put the big three mods (intake, exhaust, FI controller) and you will have great power. I think these quads in stock form still have good power.

I would not say they have Honda 450r bottom end power, but there is enough there and you can feel it when you stab the throttle. If the price is right on the R (say $500-1000 cheaper), you can always go up a tooth on the rear sprocket to get more "low" end for $40.

Although I cannot give you an opinion on their power bands, you will not be upset either way. I haven't ridden both side by side to give a full eval.

wickdYFZ450R
10-26-2011, 08:05 AM
If I was you I would pick the R. They come with Long travel suspension.If you can get one cheaper mines well go that route..

THORrider350
10-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Ended up picking the R up. Loving this thing...

wickdYFZ450R
10-30-2011, 12:54 PM
awesome looking quad..