PDA

View Full Version : biggest bummer ever, need help....

jwags13
10-22-2011, 09:09 AM
I made my 1st purchase ever off another person and im having some issues, can someome give me advice please. I bought a ct350pv motor last week and it just arrived in very poor condition. I payed for it through pay pal. It was shipped to me through fed-ex, one package yesterday and one the day before. There was oil everywhere, the throttle cable was snapped, and the cases around the oil drain are cracked and broke and leaking oil. I have no experience at all with this stuff and i am looking for some help. The motor was insured for 2000. link to pics, http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee417/jwags131/

hontrx265r
10-22-2011, 09:22 AM
You'll probably have to go after the carrier, and I'm pretty sure it will take some time. However I can tell you that motor was absolutely not packaged correctly to begin with, so there is an issue there.. and its obvious the seller packaged it. I've sent lots of motors and its not cheap but it works.. cooler, cooler, cooler...bulletproof.
Goodluck, hope it works out. Looks like it could have been a nice motor.

hartwill
10-22-2011, 09:28 AM
That would make me sick to my stomach. From the looks of the box it appears that atleast some of the damage was caused by fedex. Thats why you should use a cooler to ship motors. If I was you I would attempt to collect the insurance money and salvage what you can from the motor. If they let you keep it you should make out ok in the end. Also contact the seller and see if he knows about any of the damage.

jwags13
10-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks man, i did offer to buy the shipper a cooler to ship the motor in and they refused. And yes i am sick to my stomach and havent slept.

croat1
10-22-2011, 10:00 AM
damn!!! that seller screwed you over good. why anyone would even consider shipping the motor that way is just an idiot.

did you have good pics of the motor before he sent it without the damage?

205dke187
10-22-2011, 10:18 AM
I am the seller and I packed it CORRECTLY in a completely different box. A heavy duty box like car fenders and stuff come in. I used a whole role of packing paper and a whole role of shipping tape. I have sent motors that way in the past. The box he has was relabeled in Maryland. I packed it up and wrote the weight and fragile all over the box. I wrapped the motor in plastic put it inside a garbage bag packed paper all around it just like I have 3a other motors. I put atleast 3-4" of paper all around it. NOT MY FAULT...... FEDEX ....

jwags13
10-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Whats done is done, not trying to point fingers. I am just trying to get info, has this happened to anyone before? And if so how was it handled and what was the outcome? And help, any help at all.

265 sleeper
10-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Was that sent in a cardboard box with just paper and tape . Omfc
That was a sweet lookin motor . Hope everything works out . I've sent motors in a wood box fit for the motor I send . 2by2 boards 3/8 plywood half inch insulating foam boards torquebit screws and liquid nails glue total cost is like 48 bucks .

witech
10-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Shipping a motor with oil in it is a good way to pay some hefty fines. When shipping engines make sure it can be rolled down a flight of stairs without damage. A cardboard box and paper stuffing is just neglegence. The cooler method is the only way to go.

01shee
10-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Cooler or plastic tote is the only way to ship a motor. Also all ways remove the drain plug.

jwags13
10-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Any one with any experiences like this could u please pm me or somethin with some info on what happened and how the process goes? People buy and sell all the time on this forum and nobody has any info about fed-ex **** ups or pay pal? Anything at all that would help calm me down would be epic!

trx/lt500r
10-22-2011, 03:57 PM
my experience has been this: you the buyer will get the s**t end of the stick.
If you payed with paypal the paypal transaction better have a detailed description of the item that was damaged, this is the only thing that can act as a reciept (if this is through ebay then you are good). Then i beleive the shipper will have to open the claim for the damaged item (yes this is *** backward) even though the shipper has the money. The item will then get evaluated at your local fed-ex/ups station. Then the item if deemed damaged will then be returned to the shipper (yes even though the shipper already has the money). The shipper will then have to fill out a couple forms to get back the money that the item was worth.
The shipper will have to reemburse you your money.
Make sure you work with the shipper and hope he is an honest guy.

UPS burned me twice when they clearly damaged my items. In my case the shipper wanted nothing to do with it as he already got paid.

My advise is not to wait arround, get in touch with FEDEX asap and if he item was insured push for the whole amount of the insured item.

Good luck

JM317
10-22-2011, 04:49 PM
A cardboard box and paper stuffing is just neglegence.

Yeah, no s***! I have to ship a motor this week and I have enough foam blocks to fill a garage. What's with all the oil in it?

danhung11
10-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Keep all the packing, the pics are good. The oil might cause a problem with the claims process. Be professional and persistent. The label on the box should have a declared value. It looks like it was dropped, and the cardboard looks weak. Sad, real sad.

jwags13
10-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the help, but this story just keeps getting better and better. The person that was selling this motor advertised it as having a cr250 ignition set up. Well upon further examining it does not have one. I have never seen a cr250 ignition in person but i know that the flywheel is small and when i took the ignition cover off to look for damage something didnt look right. So i took some more pics and posted in my other thread. Only on person replied back but they said it was not a cr250 ignition set up. Can someone else check it out to be sure? I can not belive this, straight up sick in stomach.

D Bergstrom
10-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Hate to see this, I was really looking at this motor and wanted to buy it, just worried about it getting shipped across the country was my only concern. (Although after you finding the ignition, makes me wonder what else is not true about it.) No matter what the sender says, a card board box doesn't cut it for shipping a motor. For sure contact Fed Ex as soon as possible and keep all the packing and give it to them also. That may be the other problem, Fed Ex could say it was not packed properly and not pay.

I am not sure Paypal will do anything, since you did get it and there is nothing to document condition. Since Fed Ex is taking the motor, make sure you get something in writing from them that they took the motor back for inspection. That way if Fed Ex does pay insurance to the seller and you never see anything, you can file a claim with paypal. You will at least have proof that Fed Ex picked it up and you do not have the item.

As far as the oil, it was probably just what was left in the motor after draining, it doesn't take much oil to make a big mess. I would be willing to bet that since it was just a cardboard box, Fed Ex employees would let it sit on its side, upside down, etc. After all, they have no idea what is in the box. I knew someone who worked at UPS years ago, you have to figure it is just a bunch of part time younger guys not making much money handling the pakages. Everytime I ship something, I make sure it is packed good enough to be dropped, because I know it will.

Hope everything works out in your favor.

Doug

DoonRider
10-22-2011, 06:47 PM
If the motor isn't what it was advertised to be, and if you have the communication, PayPal has buyer protection in place that will take care of you. First contact the seller and then if the response doesn't make you happy, file a claim with PayPal. The shipping damage is a secondary issue at this point. PayPal has really decent staff. You will get a reasonable person that lives in the United States when you contact them. If the buyer doesn't work with you, PayPal will have you return it regardless of what the seller wants. Once the seller signs for the return shipment (or refuses it), PayPal will reimburse your account. That's what happened to me when I was dealing with some guy in FL who tried ripping me off.
You got to stay on top of it and keep all of your communication.

Edit - not to say your seller is dishonest, but the guy I was dealing with was. A person is likely to make an error when selling something they aren't familar with.

JM317
10-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Crack those cases open and let's see if those Yukon gears are in there too. :uhoh:

jwags13
10-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Does anyone still have the link for the page that the motor was advertised on, the part that had the advertisement for the motor was deleted by the seller after he sold it to me. And thanks for all the support and help from everyone, you all helped me get through one of the worst days ever.

Motofool250r
10-22-2011, 07:37 PM
your best bet is to claim shipping damage through fedex.

croat1
10-22-2011, 07:42 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=475650

JoePA
10-22-2011, 09:01 PM
I can tell you right now that if you put a claim in with Fed-Ex they are going to say it was not packaged properly. The only way you might get something is if the shipper has pics of the way it was packaged from him since he says it was different than the pictures shown. UPS does this all the time when something gets shipped and it gets damaged..blame the way it was packed. I'm sure Ferd-Ex works the same way.

Since you payed with Paypal, I hope not as a gift, then I would open a claim through them to get your money back or at least something. I suggest talking to the seller first and work something out, specialy since it was said to have a CR ignition and it does not. IF that fails then go through pay pal.

trx250racer
10-23-2011, 12:43 AM
only reason the motor would be repackaged is if the original packaging didnt hold up either.
what a shame, thats a really nice motor.

file a claim with paypal, they will take care of you. only thing you will be out is the return shipping.

protrax
10-23-2011, 07:05 AM
WOW bro I feel your pain , never ship a engine out in cardboard box
always use a rubbermaid tote with a nice 3/8 plywood skidplate on the bottom or a cooler as suggested . Thats sucks bigtime though looked like a sweet engine . Good luck with Fedex unless they packed it themselves they will point blame to the seller

jwags13
10-23-2011, 07:35 AM
I talked to seller once again and he said he knew it wasnt a stock ignition set up and assumed it was a cr 250. I asked for my money back and he said wait till monday after he talks to fed ex. Claim has been opened through pay pal. Slept an hr last night.

jwags13
10-23-2011, 07:45 AM
The thing that bothers me the most is what if fed ex comes and gets the motor and then decides not to pay anything or at least not pay the whole thing and then i loose my money and the motor. That is straight up madness.

DoonRider
10-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Fed Ex won't take the motor. They may want to do an inspection of the packaging, so they want you to hang on to the box, etc.

Thornfold
10-23-2011, 11:24 AM
wow bro-that is f-up. feel for you man. claim time bud

dlunn
10-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by jwags13
I talked to seller once again and he said he knew it wasnt a stock ignition set up and assumed it was a cr 250. I asked for my money back and he said wait till monday after he talks to fed ex. Claim has been opened through pay pal. Slept an hr last night.

I'm always suspicious of people selling parts and they really don't know what they are. All you would have to do is pull the stator cover and you would see it's not a CR ignition or even look at the wiring harness. Either the seller never put a wrench on the machine himself or he hasn't owned it very long and looked into what was on it.

That's allot of money to spend on a motor and not get what you paid for. I will only purchase from guys that post on the forum regularly or the other site because the knowledge is there and I feel their allot more honest.

jwags13
10-23-2011, 03:53 PM
I totally agree about the ignition thing. If you dont know, pull the cover and take pics and put them on this forum, somebody will reply with an answer fast. It took me about 20 min to pull cover take pics and get them uploaded to the forum for an answer. He had no problem posting pics when he was parting out the bike.

sameltoe
10-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Did you check to see if the yukons or clutch kit is in it...
This just blows man!

jwags13
10-23-2011, 04:46 PM
No i didnt check if the yukons are in it cause the seller threatened me that if i touch the motor one more time i am gonna end up with it. And u have to split cases to see gears and i wouldnt even know were to start. The only reason i took off stator cover was to check for damage.

JoePA
10-23-2011, 04:58 PM
If he makes you eat the cost on that engine let me know. I think I have a useable left side case we can hook you up with.....just have to go through my stash of parts!

jwags13
10-23-2011, 05:03 PM
Wow, thanks alot man!!! I will let ya know.

DoonRider
12-25-2011, 05:56 PM
How'd this turn out?

dhsmustang
12-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Not sure how it shook out but the original seller ended up with the motor and parted it out. I know this because the cases are laying on my workbench right now.

dsaint77
12-26-2011, 12:58 AM
How is it that the spark plug did not get broken?

Adam

aztecgwynn
12-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Gentlemen I want to respond about shipping motors.
I am very qualified in this subject matter having worked at UPS for 10 years.
Yes it is the shippers responsibility to ship properly in cooler or wood box. But having worked in hub all those years I see why it broke motors are heavy and employees don't pick up heavy boxes to move, they are usually are rolled around and rolled into trailer. That is considered an IRREG short for irregular. But anything over 70LBS does not go to the belly of a trailer it goes on the back of trailer next to door. But the issue is when we would open doors those trailers are jam packed and when we open door those IRREGS come rolling out and falling to ground or are always mishandled because of weight.
So does this surprise me no it does not, but I want to take the opportunity to advise everyone if you ship an engine buy a cooler and build inside cooler a frame around engine so the engine is floating inside cooler. Therefore if cooler falls off of dock or is thrown by an employee the shock is absorbed by the cooler and the wooden frame engine is bolted to absorbs some of the impact.
Not sure how many of you are familiar with S&S Engines, they are Harley Davidson engine builders. Well these guys would build wooden frame around motor and motor would be bolted to wooden frame inside and would be cover by NDF wood all around. I personally saw a few guys drop those crates intentionally and non intentionally but when they fell yes Ndf would break but engine was still intact. And one more thing cover intake and exhaust openings if you knew how much dirt is in those trailers and hubs all across the US, good luck boys.

jwags13
12-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Two months later the matter has been settled. Thanks for all the info and help i received through this forum.