PDA

View Full Version : my quad wont start

Hondaman88
10-22-2011, 01:13 AM
i just had my head port polished. put a stage 2 hotcam in it. it started fine. sounded normal.
i rode it around my house and it was fine. i shut it off and went to start it up and it would barely crank. Tried to jump start it and still nothing.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flyracer219
10-23-2011, 08:33 AM
mine did the same thing to me on saturday, it was only the second ride on the rebuilt motor..my stator went bad, sounds like the same thing happened to you

DnB_racing
10-23-2011, 09:54 AM
1st make sure your getting spark

then try giving a quick shot of starting fluid,

also be sure to have fresh gas, and open up the carb drain to make sure gas is actually flowing,

also check the cam chain auto adjustment, just to be safe,make sure its not sticking, this probably wouldn't stop it from running, unless it allow it to jump a tooth, but it will make sure you dont cause any damage

also it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure your valve clearance is still in spec, Ive seen the cam tower not torqued properly and after a short run the clearance was way off, and while your there give the auto decompression a look to be sure all is in place,

im not sure if you have a e start or not and the year but you might want to think about starting compression

to check your starting compression.... when I adjust my exhaust decompression, I use a compression tester instead of a feeler gauge,

with stock piston,on a e start. I like to set my starting compression at around 58-60 psi, and depending on your motor the the clearance might not be the same as factory spec...

any thing much higher then 60psi and the stock battery has a hard time turning it over, any thing less then around 55psi and it doesnt like to start as quick...

the higher the starting compression the better it starts, as long as the starter can turn it over fast enough

its more reliable using the compression tester then the feeler gauge to have a consistent starting compression

Hondaman88
10-29-2011, 05:15 PM
my quad is a 2006 with electric start.

we checked the timing and it was a tooth off. i re-timed it and still barely tries to crank.

my intake valve clearance was super tight again, cant get feeler gauge in there.

i think it could be that the starting gears in the right side are bad.

its not that it dont have spark, it wont even barely crank when you try to start it