PDA

View Full Version : Carb problems??

fish10782
10-21-2011, 08:56 PM
My r seems to be running out of fuel only when I am jumping. Specifically the quad is in the air and right before you land you go to wot and it just dies, a little bit after you land it takes off like a rocket. as well I notice it does this in the air when in trying to level out... carb is a 39mm air striker with the boysse float bowl. I'm out of ideas.... was thinking maybe a fuel pump, how can I put a fuel pump on?

fish10782
10-24-2011, 04:58 AM
seriously guys????:rolleyes:

wilkin250r
10-24-2011, 09:53 PM
That's not a "running out of gas" issue, that's a throttle response issue. I can't see a fuel pump solving that problem.

And you've got something wrong one way or the other. The 39mm carb isn't available in an Air Striker configuration, so you've either got a regular 39mm PWK, or you've got a 38mm PWK Air Striker.

fish10782
10-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Regardless of the carb model, its an air striker...... you corrected me on the size. throttle response is non existing but only while the Wheeler is air born??? I'm open to constructive criticism. Ill go back through the jetting. Perhaps its flooding and not starving. Plug reades fairly lean. I have had problems of it sucking the float bowl dry so the bigger bowl was installed and that helped for longer stretches of wot. any other ideas???

wilkin250r
10-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by fish10782
I have had problems of it sucking the float bowl dry so the bigger bowl was installed and that helped for longer stretches of wot. any other ideas???

If the bowl is running dry, that can only mean you're using fuel up faster than it is flowing in. Since the stock petcock in good working condition is probably capable of supporting 300HP, you either have a 300HP motor, or your petcock is NOT in good working condition.

Why you have a problem when jumping, I'm not sure. It could be a combination of small problems, I don't really have a good answer yet (and the lack of responses tells me that other people haven't had the same problem, so nobody else has a real good answer yet, either), but we can continue to work on it.

However, we CAN fix some little issues on the way, and we might discover whichever is causing your jumping problem. Right now, I can tell you that you have a fuel flow problem. Either your petcock is clogged, it's not opening correctly, kinked fuel line, an inline filter that is clogged, or something is clogged in your carbureter inlet itself that is slowing down the fuel rate into your carb. There is no reason at all that your fuel bowl should be running dry.

Your gas tank vent cap could also possibly cause that problem.

C-LEIGH RACING
10-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Do you have the little plastic slosh piece in the bowl.
If you've ran the bowl dry on a 250R, you have fuel flow problems or the float is set way to lean for sure.

Pull the fuel hose loose from the carb, get something to catch the gas in & do a flow test on the petcock & tank.
Try it in the ON setting for like 10~15 minutes & then in the reserve setting, cap on the tank, everything in place just like it would be like while on the track.

Those vent hoses off the carb, make sure they are not plugged up on the end, because air will be sucked back up through them & into the bowl when the engine is running.

You have one of those short tube & aluminum vents on the tank cap, if you do its your own fault.
Neil