PDA

View Full Version : 07 400ex wont start??

yz2stroke
10-21-2011, 04:49 PM
i have 07 400ex for a while i lost my key so i put a 04 wire harness on finally i found my key and now i put the 07 harness back on its just cranks and cranks but wont turn over. the problem actually happened with the 04 wire harness i was riding it shut off and now it just cranks and cranks thats why i decided to put the 07 harness back on to see if that was the problem but its doing the same thing it just wont start up

if you have any ideas of what it could be letme know thanks

crlt250r
10-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Check ground wire?

yz2stroke
10-21-2011, 05:14 PM
ground wire from coil right?? if so then yeah thats fine

NMills
10-21-2011, 05:14 PM
you didn't hit your kill switch did you???

yz2stroke
10-21-2011, 05:23 PM
no kill switch is also fin i put a new one on anyway.

DnB_racing
10-21-2011, 06:34 PM
is it getting spark?

xX-Clutch-Xx
10-21-2011, 07:37 PM
if it cranks then your circuit isnt broken, check and make sure the coil is plugged to the spark plug good and check that ground. Otherwise make sure the plug isnt completely fouled and pump it while it tries to start

CJM
10-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Did you put the 07 cdi back on?

yz2stroke
10-22-2011, 08:39 AM
yes, the 07 cdi is hooked up. when i had the 04 harness on i used the 04 cdi.

yz2stroke
10-22-2011, 10:03 AM
ive been working on it all morning. still nothing i even put a brand new coil on i pulled the plug and put it to something metal and it sparks so im guessing it has spark. the headlight comes on also.
ive been using jumper cables hooking it up to my truck to the quad becsause battery is dead

the gas is on reserve? there not alot in there

crlt250r
10-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Ummmm, might be going out on a limb here, but maybe put some gas in.... LOL actually, pull the gas cock and check to make sure the screens are clear.

yz2stroke
10-22-2011, 11:29 AM
yeah i will pout more gas in lol. but i dont think thats the problem just doesnt sound like it wants to turn over at all.and i pulled the gas line and gas is coming out so its getting gas

CJM
10-22-2011, 11:54 AM
YES put more gas in then try it. I had the same problem once lol!

crlt250r
10-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Float needle stuck in the seat maybe. Jets clogged with crud? Timing? Compression? Geez, what else could there be? LOL. If you have spark, have fuel, timing is right and compression is good, you should be up and running....

xX-Clutch-Xx
10-25-2011, 06:43 PM
DONT JUMP START LOL. I had a prob from that. get a new battery if its too dead to turn over, gas it up, otherwise your quad doesnt like you

NMills
10-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by xX-Clutch-Xx
DONT JUMP START LOL. I had a prob from that. get a new battery if its too dead to turn over, gas it up, otherwise your quad doesnt like you

What kind of problem??? i've jump started several quads... never a problem.... unless you hook them up wrong.... then sucks to be you.....

CJM
10-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by NMills
What kind of problem??? i've jump started several quads... never a problem.... unless you hook them up wrong.... then sucks to be you.....

btw, when people jump start stuff they forget something very simple to do! LET THE THING CHARGE FOR A FEW MINS BEFORE YOU EVEN TURN IT OVER! I mean unless you got a booster box like me that throws out 2000 amps..

tripicana
10-26-2011, 08:55 AM
if you jump it off a vehicle, just make sure the car/truck IS NOT RUNNING.
the fourwheeler will only pull as much amps as it needs. if your car is running, its electrical system could be putting out way more amps, and you can fry your cdi.

DnB_racing
10-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by tripicana
if you jump it off a vehicle, just make sure the car/truck IS NOT RUNNING.
the fourwheeler will only pull as much amps as it needs. if your car is running, its electrical system could be putting out way more amps, and you can fry your cdi. yes and no...amps is the current draw, the atv will not draw more amps then is needed,it doesnt matter how many amp alternator your car has

unless there is a dead short or other problem with the atv charging system

a starter or fan or light or wire,will only draw the amount of amps needed, regardless of the amount of amps fed

think of it this way, your house has feeder wires from city with potential of up to 600 to 1000 amps, but you wont use more then what's needed to run everything, it only draws more amps when there is a overload

ohms law tells us the higher the volts the less the amps, a starter pulling amps from a low voltage source(week battery) will use more amps then a starter pulling from a high voltage source (fully charged battery)or jumped battery.. it is perfectly safe to use a running car to start any 12 volt circuit your cars amps has no effect as long as the system isn't shorted or has a problem

crlt250r
10-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
yes and no...

think of it this way, your house has feeder wires from city with potential of up to 600 to 1000 amps,

ohms law tells us the higher the volts the less the amps,

Yes and no.....
Standard home service is only capable of handling 150-250 amps at 240 volts. LOL sorry, continue thread :p

xX-Clutch-Xx
10-26-2011, 08:41 PM
i tried jump starting it and nothing would happen lol. BUT my battery was also 9 years old

CJM
10-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Theres a fuse next to the battery, check it and replace if bad.

tripicana
10-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
yes and no...amps is the current draw, the atv will not draw more amps then is needed,it doesnt matter how many amp alternator your car has

unless there is a dead short or other problem with the atv charging system

a starter or fan or light or wire,will only draw the amount of amps needed, regardless of the amount of amps fed

think of it this way, your house has feeder wires from city with potential of up to 600 to 1000 amps, but you wont use more then what's needed to run everything, it only draws more amps when there is a overload

ohms law tells us the higher the volts the less the amps, a starter pulling amps from a low voltage source(week battery) will use more amps then a starter pulling from a high voltage source (fully charged battery)or jumped battery.. it is perfectly safe to use a running car to start any 12 volt circuit your cars amps has no effect as long as the system isn't shorted or has a problem

i disagree. 400ex alternator puts out about 8 amps max. you hook your battery with jumpers to a car thats charging at 35 amps and i think damage can occur. sure fuses should protect the system, but its not good for the battery either.

DnB_racing
10-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by crlt250r
Yes and no.....
Standard home service is only capable of handling 150-250 amps at 240 volts. LOL sorry, continue thread :p no! the average home is PROTECTED at either 100 or 200 amps, most of the house wiring couldn't even handle a 30 amp load, but its not important how much potential is there if I only need 5 amps to run my fan or motor, the line could be rated and protected at 20 amps but a 5 amp motor will only use 5 amps

just because something is fused and rated at a high amperage that doesn't mean it will actually use that much amps

im talking about the potential from the pole there is way more amps then your house needs,many power lines are fused at 1000 amps, but the potential is there to even have a much higher load

same thing happens with an alternator its a power source, your car alternator is rated at 100 amps, but unless something is actually drawing that much amps it will only use whats being called for to run whatever is running on the quad....

like I said unless there is a issue with the electrical system ... on a home yes your service is protected at up to 200 amps but the incoming lines have much larger potential, but you still only use whats needed, unless something shorts out or has an issue, then the over current protection protects the wires from the higher potential

I dont want to argue with anyone but it is safe to use a running car to charge a healthy charging system on your quad!!! if you want me to explain it in ohms law and theory i will, but here is a quick explanation of how electricity flows

if my total amp draw on my quad equals 5 amps if I had 1000 amps feeding it , it would still only use the 5 amps,

amps is the amount of current being used, a car alternator is just like a big pool of current to be drawn off when needed,and amps is just a measure of flow

on a normal operating charging system there is NO DANGER USING A RUNNING CAR TO CHARGE!!!

anyone that tells me different please explain how something that draws 5 amps on a 20 amp system,will all of a sudden draw more just because it has more amps to draw from. if It has the potential from the alternator to draw 20 amps and still only draws 5, it wont matter if I have something that has the potential of 100 amps it will still only draw the 5 needed

that's like saying your alternator that has the potential to handle as much as 15- 20 amps at as much as 20 volts will harm your system

DnB_racing
10-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by tripicana
i disagree. 400ex alternator puts out about 8 amps max. you hook your battery with jumpers to a car thats charging at 35 amps and i think damage can occur. sure fuses should protect the system, but its not good for the battery either. no damage will not occur

most modern car alternators have 100 amp alternators,and our quads are rated at around 15 to 20 amps and produce around 18 to 20 volts and that's ac,

the amp rating of an alternator is not what it puts out but what it can handle for current flow, before the resistance gets too high and creates heat

a alternator produces voltage not amperage ( amperage is just the measure of the flow of electricity)and can handle a certain amp draw at a certain voltage, the higher the voltage the lower the amps

the regulator and rectifier convert to dc and regulate the charging system to around 13.5 to 13.8 volts dc and any voltage above this after full use by all electrical and line loss is dissipated through resistors in the regulator and is lost through heat fins on the regulator

Id be more then willing to fully explain it in more details if your looking for more info, but read my previous post about the charging system, and how it relates to amp draw

but your absolutely correct that any quick charge ... is just that a QUICK charge! or battery damage can occur if left on too long, that's why a long slow charge is recommended for batteries so as to not shock them

NMills
10-27-2011, 06:30 PM
And we will even do a solid test on this matter...

http://jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/upload/Bunsen-Beaker-web.jpg