PDA

View Full Version : oil leak somewere !!

hondatrx450er
10-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Went out riding for bout a hour came back and noticed 2 days after it was parked there were oil drops and puddle under the motor....

Took the skid plate off, checked all the bolts on side of the case, checked oil plug bolt, seemed all good nothing loose or missing....

All though I did find a bolt missing from bottom the chain case gaurd, and was wet and dirty near shifter rod on left side of motor when sitting on it

I took pics but not sure if I can post em all from my phone ....

Is it possible to be leaking were the missing bolt is on chain/sproket guard is?? Or would it be more then likely to leak at the seal were shifter rod is ??

If someone would like to do me favour I will email pics to them as I can't post em cuz there too big

chronicsmoke
10-21-2011, 01:23 PM
here are the pics man,

chronicsmoke
10-21-2011, 01:24 PM

chronicsmoke
10-21-2011, 01:24 PM
last one

Scro
10-21-2011, 01:57 PM
The shifter seal shown in the pic is notorious for leaking. It will be tranny fluid if it's leaking. If it's bad, it's an easy fix. Just pick the old out with a small screwdriver, and slide the new in making sure the correct side is pointing out.

hondatrx450er
10-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Scro
The shifter seal shown in the pic is notorious for leaking. It will be tranny fluid if it's leaking. If it's bad, it's an easy fix. Just pick the old out with a small screwdriver, and slide the new in making sure the correct side is pointing out.

I would bet money that's what I think as well....but I was up and down gears a lot !!! So maybe the sealed was heating up and expanding ? I dunno... Ya it leaks tranny flluid but hasn't leaked any at all lately for some reason... Had it running today and no drips ....

So if I went to order a new one is it just labelled as a shifter rod seal ???

Scro
10-21-2011, 02:22 PM
The part number is 91203-KA4-771.

hondatrx450er
10-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Scro
The part number is 91203-KA4-771.

Is that the dealer number ??? I'm gonna more then likely get it from royal distributing

01boneless
10-21-2011, 10:42 PM
my 450 done that and i noticed the seal was kinda poped out so i put a socket on it and taped it in easy but yours may be bad as stated above. and not to be nosey but whats with the grass all over it lol

hondatrx450er
10-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
my 450 done that and i noticed the seal was kinda poped out so i put a socket on it and taped it in easy but yours may be bad as stated above. and not to be nosey but whats with the grass all over it lol

Hahaha I wondered if and when someone was gonna ask about the grass, I had it running and was driving around the lawn before the pics.... The grass was SOAKED and super long been raining for a couple weeks here now

Ruf Racing
10-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by hondatrx450er
Is that the dealer number ??? I'm gonna more then likely get it from royal distributing

The seal is a metric sized, (14X22X5). Sometimes my supplier has a little trouble finding the exact width, last number (5). Most of the time on an outside seal as this one, a 6mm width will work.
Good luck! ;)

hondatrx450er
10-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
The seal is a metric sized, (14X22X5). Sometimes my supplier has a little trouble finding the exact width, last number (5). Most of the time on an outside seal as this one, a 6mm width will work.
Good luck! ;)

Nice, thanks for the tip I'll keep that in mind when I go :)

quad2xtreme
10-22-2011, 11:48 AM
450r is notorious for leaking when he clutch shaft goes down into the motor too. It is pretty obvious when it is leaking oil from this location.