PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle only clutch levers?

wilkin250r
10-21-2011, 11:52 AM
So I'm browsing Rocky Mountain for a clutch lever, and several of the brands (Longhorn and MSR) are listed as "Motorcycle Only".

While technically an ATV can be considered a "motorcycle", it's generally not referred to that way, and it leads me to believe the levers are somehow meant only for dirtbikes.

I can't find any information on the manufacturers websites that give any reason or description, and the ASV levers aren't listed as "motorcycle only".

Anybody know anything about this, any reason why?

wilkin250r
10-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Okay, I got a little more information. According to Rocky Mountain, the reason these levers are listed as "motorcycle only" isn't because they don't fit or anything, it's because ATVs generally have parking brakes or reverse levers on the clutch side.

Because these clutch perches don't have those additional features, they aren't listed as "stock replacements". So to avoid confusion, they list them for motorcycle only because none of the motorcycles have parking brakes or reverse. They don't want customers with reverse or parking brakes getting upset when they order a lever and it doesn't work with their stock equipment.

Aside from that, they claim the levers work just fine for ATVs.

Scro
10-21-2011, 02:01 PM
I've used several "motorcycle" clutch levers. Never had a problem with any of them, except for one that was a "shorty" lever. The bend wasn't deep enough to clear the starter/light panel on my 450.

wilkin250r
10-21-2011, 03:16 PM
And I've had a problem with the adjusting screw on my ASV lever, the locknut was too tall to clear the headlight/kill switch housing at full pull, but the solution was simple, just get a shorter locknut on it.

What was the brand on your shorty lever?

Scro
10-22-2011, 12:36 AM
It was an ASV lever.