PDA

View Full Version : Any odd tricks for tire sealing?

HondaPohl
10-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Have a set of AMS paddles mounted on stock yamaha rims. I cannot get one of the tires to seal. Ive broken the bead 3 times and reset and still leaks. Tried the slime and nothing. It doent blow out but in about 2hrs, its flat. Any wierd odd ball tricks to try? Thanks for any help.

CJM
10-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Bead sealer. Gotta break the bead and sludge it all over.

I had the same issues with some stock honda rear wheels and itp sandstars. I gave in and resorted to fix a flat and no more issues after trying everything imaginable.

HondaPohl
10-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Bead sealer. Gotta break the bead and sludge it all over.

I had the same issues with some stock honda rear wheels and itp sandstars. I gave in and resorted to fix a flat and no more issues after trying everything imaginable.

Thanks! I will try. I hate when you get tires delivered and they have them all smushed and banded together.

Thumpin440ex
10-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Break the beads again, take some 500 grit sand paper, clean the beads up, then wipe them clean.. Also feel the beads of the tires to make sure they are clean as well..

John

400exrider707
10-21-2011, 01:26 PM
I agree, remove the tire, clean the wheel exceptionally well. I usually hit it with something slightly abrasive by hand, then wipe it down with carb cleaner and a clean rag to get everything off. You shouldn't really have to do anything to the tire.

Are you certain it's leaking from the bead? Did you test it in a tub of water, or spray it with a soapy solution? Have you replaced the valve stem?

HondaPohl
10-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I agree, remove the tire, clean the wheel exceptionally well. I usually hit it with something slightly abrasive by hand, then wipe it down with carb cleaner and a clean rag to get everything off. You shouldn't really have to do anything to the tire.

Are you certain it's leaking from the bead? Did you test it in a tub of water, or spray it with a soapy solution? Have you replaced the valve stem?

Yea its definetly coming from the bead. I sprayed around it with soapy water and I could see it bubbling.

wilkin250r
10-21-2011, 03:24 PM
I had a similar problem with a tire years ago. Bead sealer was the key for me, although I didn't use actual bead sealer (do they sell it? What is is?)

I just bought a tube of regular black silicone sealant, cleaned the wheel really well, and then really globbed it on the bead (before I inflated and seated the bead). Inflate and let it seat, wiped away any excess, and never had a problem again. It might be a mess when I change the tire down the road, but it's been several years of trouble-free service.

HondaPohl
10-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone!

headache
10-22-2011, 07:14 PM
yep silicone will usually work. gob it on and bead it up. i had to use it on one of my rear tires on my 250 big red 3 wheeler. it has steel rims and i couldnt get it to seal till i used it.

scotturban
10-29-2011, 07:35 PM
More psi!! and Lots more lube!!