PDA

View Full Version : YZ kill switch install on 400ex???

400exrip
10-19-2011, 03:15 PM
What's up guys have any of you ever put a YZ killswitch, as a start button on the 400ex I know that I have seen a couple guys with this setup also on 300ex's and 450er's. I got one but I don't know how to wire it up.

My 400ex is used as a TT race bike, and I wanted to get rid of the big stock starter box with the light switch on it, And put the YZ kill switch up there, any help is appreciated thanks, Ty.

Stickman400
10-19-2011, 04:13 PM
I have a killswitch I got off of ebay for my starter switch. I'm positive it's the same as a YZ killswitch though. I tried using a BBR killswitch for a CRF50 and it wouldn't work because it was a normally closed switch, so it just continually turned the motor over until I pressed the button. But anyway, if it's normally open, I just clipped the wires that go to the starter button on the stock switch and spliced them into the YZ wires. Be sure to touch the wires to the stock wires and see if the button works before you hard wire it though. That way you don't have to cut it all apart just to switch them.

pitbiker2269
10-19-2011, 05:07 PM
^ you said the kill switch was normally open then it would not crank until you pressed the button and closed the curcit.

So for a start button you want a normally open switch so when you press it it closes the curciut and cranks the motor.

Stickman400
10-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Yea, I said said that wrong. You want a normally open circuit, the one I had the first time was normally closed. Idk why the BBR one wouldn't work, but the YZ one does. I guess the switch is wired different internally.

BTW I edited that post so it is correct now.

400exrip
10-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I appriciate it.