PDA

View Full Version : HELLP!!!!!!!!!! 400ex wont start.

blasterslayer
10-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Ok here is the run down had the motor out of the quad did new pivoit bolt and all busbhings put everything back together was ridding it for about 5 mins then went of a set of steps landed andx the quad boged down and wont start since.. i put new plug cap and wire going into the coil and still will not start i am im a stanxd still and cant figure it out i have saprk......could the impact from jumping the steps had done something??????all the info the better thankx guys

CJM
10-19-2011, 01:58 PM
What does it do when trying to start, does it crank, does it do anything, does the neutral light work?

Verify the following and then report back:

1. Remove the boot from the plug, stick a screwdriver in the end, place it on a piece of unpainted metal (such as the engine)-it sparks your fine.

2. Make sure its getting gas, make sure its no on reserve and the tanks full. Make sure the carb is spraying gas

3. Check the fuse near the battery 15 amp iirc, replace it if its no good.

4. If it sounds like a glug glug glug when starting and not turning over properly 10 bucks it jumped time

blasterslayer
10-19-2011, 02:09 PM
I have spark and it turns and turns and turns but wont start checked the fuses all good i trired with the pluge out and shoots gas out the plug what do u mean a jump car with jumper cables

CJM
10-19-2011, 02:16 PM
I never said a thing about jumper cables :confused:

If its getting gas and has spark then the timing is probably not right and or your valves are out of adjustment.

Before you do anything else check your valves. http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

Usually when it stops just like that its timing related, usually a bad tensioner or stretched chain or both. But check the valves first!

blasterslayer
10-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Ok cool thankx alot im gonna do a valve adjustment and ill let u know what happens

Stickman400
10-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Also see if your rubber intake boot from the airbox to the carb is still attached. Mine did that same kinda thing after I jumped and landed really hard and it just pulled the boot of the carb and it was getting to much air and wouldn't run.

blasterslayer
10-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Boot is on and did a adjustment still dose not want to start i dont get it ran through all the conetions every where im stumped once again

CJM
10-19-2011, 05:05 PM
So the valves are adjusted in spec now?

If everything else checks out then you might have jumped time. How many hours does it have on it? The tensioner and cam chain do wear out and allow it to jump.

Way to tell is to remove the rocker cover and set your engine to top dead center. If the marks on the cam gear dont line up then you got a problem.