PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Clutch Questions

bloodswet&gears
10-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Is it neccesary to use a clutch cover gasket (cvt)?

Can't I use a sealer? Is the gasket spacing the cover out?

Do I even have to put sealer on it? It doesn't hold fluid in and it has vents.

Where do I measure clutch size? Bell is 112mm I.D. and shoes are around 104mm O.D. to 107mm O.D. depending on where measured.

Searched this stuff, but must have used the wrong words.

jay-r
10-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Don't use sealer. You will have to get in there alot and it will just make it harder. I always ran a gasket on our DRR. I have heard that you need to for clearance. Our gasket got pretty ragged, but for clearance it was okay.

You should take the largest measurement of the shoes. However, if you have a weak spring, you could have one shoe trying to engage sooner than the others causing one shoe to be more worn. We ran the stage 6 adjustable clutch. It is expensive, but it is well worth it for the adjustment and ease of changing springs. Much better engagement too.

There is no end to it when you start spending money.:D

chunky0071
10-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by jay-r

There is no end to it when you start spending money.:D [/B]
We run the Gskt on ours but I did put some contact glue on it and the engine case so I didn't have to worry about it moving every time I take the cover off.

Hetrick Racing
10-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Keep this in mind there are a bunch of people selling parts you may not need.
We pulled 18 holeshots out of 22 in the 70 class and many starts in the 90 classes at the nationals
with the stock yamasida shoe pack
retail is around 80 bucks

Wal marts
Just sell parts,oh yea they have a service center ,,,lol

nastynotchback1
10-20-2011, 11:28 AM
you don't have to run the gasket unless you need it for clearance when installing variator shims.

bloodswet&gears
10-20-2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. Think I have the info I was looking for.

Still curious about what fits what. Like what do I measure to keep from buying the wrong clutch parts.

I'm not sure but I thought I read somewhere the shafts or splines are different on variators, clutches & bells between brands and models.

Wanted to measure and count everything while it was out.

bloodswet&gears
10-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by nastynotchback1
you don't have to run the gasket unless you need it for clearance when installing variator shims.

Thats what I was thinking. This is an e-ton cover and it looks like it may have more clearance than the others. I may be wrong.

I think i could use clay or something to check clearance. The kickstart part is what Im mainly worried about.

nastynotchback1
10-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by bloodswet&gears
Thats what I was thinking. This is an e-ton cover and it looks like it may have more clearance than the others. I may be wrong.

I think i could use clay or something to check clearance. The kickstart part is what Im mainly worried about.

the e-ton 70cc cover has less clearance that the 90cc cover.The 90cc covers have the most clearance of all of them