PDA

View Full Version : 250r's

honda270ex
02-25-2003, 05:12 PM
Are 250r's reliable? i thinking about bying one. i dont want something that will break down everytime i ride it

ESR250R
02-25-2003, 05:23 PM
ya, they suck, stay away from them... stick with the 250ex. there not reliable at all, i blow mine up after like 30 minutes of riding. get a clue kid

CBW
02-25-2003, 05:24 PM
the times are countless as to how many times that question has been asked,,,,,and it all comes down to the way the bike has been,,,,,,,will be ,,,,,or is taken care of.................

this is still on the stock bore,,,,(new cylinder during rebuild),,,,,,,,,but it has been on the bike for 7 years:eek2:

There are many aspects of what to look for,,,,,,,,but do not by any means purchase a used R hoping to never have to do anything to it,,,,,,,,,,give it some TLC right after purchase and during your ownership if you are lucky enough to get one,,,,,,,,and it will last for years...........;)

honda270ex
02-26-2003, 05:20 PM
what kind of quad should i get that is a fast four stroke for a resonable price

nuttynewt
02-27-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by honda270ex
what kind of quad should i get that is a fast four stroke for a resonable price

The Honda TRX90 is really nice, and there are a quite a few aftermarket companies out there that make performance parts for them.

:bandit:

roostu
02-27-2003, 01:00 PM
CBW very nice ATC 250r. It looks good man! That is the ride of choice for me!

~Roost-U

CBW
02-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by roostu
CBW very nice ATC 250r. It looks good man! That is the ride of choice for me!

~Roost-U

thanks,,,,,,,,it has the following:

Nacs/FMF ported stock bore cylinder
team 37pj carb
hinson basket
barnett dirt digger clutch
lonestar swing arm
PEP rear shock
Hinson side case
Hinson counterbalancer bearing holder
IMS large capacity tank
Billet pegs and pipe hangers
cool head,,,just with pump gas dome
its been powdercoated all over........

and some other stuff to small to bother listing......

02-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by honda270ex
Are 250r's reliable? i thinking about bying one. i dont want something that will break down everytime i ride it
fourstrokes never need work or break down :rolleyes:

AndrewRRR
02-27-2003, 04:07 PM
A 2 stroke will be just as reliable as a 4 stroke if you take care of it. Besides, they are so simple that if something does go wrong, it's easy to fix. Mine has only left me stuck away from camp twice: once when I broke a chain and once when I ran out of gas (and mine is modified enough to be put in the unreliable souped up R category).
Bottom line, if you break down everytime you ride, you don't need a new quad, you need to learn what you are doing wrong.

300exazzkikr
02-27-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by ESR250R
ya, they suck, stay away from them... stick with the 250ex. there not reliable at all, i blow mine up after like 30 minutes of riding. get a clue kid

LOL...:rolleyes:

ESR250R
02-28-2003, 12:52 AM
well if the kid is stupid enough to post a question like that then he really doesnt need a 250r.

roostu
02-28-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by CBW
thanks,,,,,,,,it has the following:

Nacs/FMF ported stock bore cylinder
team 37pj carb
hinson basket
barnett dirt digger clutch
lonestar swing arm
PEP rear shock
Hinson side case
Hinson counterbalancer bearing holder
IMS large capacity tank
Billet pegs and pipe hangers
cool head,,,just with pump gas dome
its been powdercoated all over........

and some other stuff to small to bother listing......

Thats f****N sweet. Good to see another ATC rider on this forum! I will have to post pics of my ATC250r when I get it all cleaned up.

~Roost-U

sly400ex
02-28-2003, 01:26 AM
R's have only been around for nearly 20yrs and dominated the whole time, not they're not reliable at all!:rolleyes:

I'm in the process of rebuilding mine right now, I just got done tinkering with it a little bit.......even though it's in many pieces right now, it gives me the biggest grin and chills just to know what it will eat when it is done. First on the menu.....my brother and his Z400:devil :eek:

Bean
02-28-2003, 01:37 AM
well man, il be honost with you, i broke a ton of parts on my R = 2 cranks, 2 pistons, 2 heads, swingarm bearings, bent footpegs, ignition system, rims, blah blah, but 90% of that was my fault, lol, mines also higher tuned than some Rs, but hey, if you treat an R right, it will last for a while and wont leave you stranded unless you forgot gas

ill_lil_romey
02-28-2003, 01:44 AM
Geez guys take it easy on the kid, it was just a simple question. 250r's have been king of the hill for 14 years. If that doesn't answer your question nothing will!

02-28-2003, 02:05 AM
Plain & simple,..
if you know how to care for an R (as with any other machine) it will be reliable..
the problems with reliability usually stem from someone who has no idea what they are doing :(

wilkin250r
02-28-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by ESR250R
well if the kid is stupid enough to post a question like that then he really doesnt need a 250r.

While I'm not going to be quite as condescending, if you don't absolutely know that the 250r is EXACTLY what you want, then I wouldn't reccomend getting one. If you're just going to be putting around, then the 250r will last forever without much maintenance. Then again, you only need a TRX90 if you're just going to put around. High performance usually also means high maintenance.

AndrewRRR
03-03-2003, 12:30 AM
I think one of the things you'll find is a lot of high performance bike owners are working on their machines all the time because they want to, not because they have to. Some people see that and think it means it needs constant attention. My bike would probably be just as reliable as any other if I just rode it and put it away. But i'm always taking things apart, finding out how to make it faster, or better looking. It doesn't NEED a lot of maintainence, but it gets it just because I enjoy working on/ improving it.

CBW
03-03-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
I think one of the things you'll find is a lot of high performance bike owners are working on their machines all the time because they want to, not because they have to. Some people see that and think it means it needs constant attention. My bike would probably be just as reliable as any other if I just rode it and put it away. But i'm always taking things apart, finding out how to make it faster, or better looking. It doesn't NEED a lot of maintainence, but it gets it just because I enjoy working on/ improving it.

well said,,,,,,and very truthfull.....;) :cool: