PDA

View Full Version : looking fro high school welding projects...

mx Eli
10-18-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm a sophmore in highschool and in metals class. we are going to have a good chunk of time do do a welding project (teacher said the more complex it is the more time you get) I want to do somthing atv related, becasue racing is my life. I was thinking a lowered subframe, but I think it would be better to start out alil smaller/ less complex. say maybe a folding x stand for the quads. I just wanted to here any idea's you guys had or even what you made in high school?

Thanks

CJM
10-18-2011, 07:46 PM
If you dont already have one, an attachment for a floor jack to jack up the atv?

If you drive a truck maybe a bumper?

250x_kyle
10-18-2011, 08:03 PM
we made a lot of bike stands out of aluminum when i was in my welding class. as far as the subframe goes when you do it why not make it adjustable with two heim joints for the bottom mounts. you and set it so they are extended to stock length when you weld it up but cut the tubes and weld the threaded inserts in so it can be shortened.

Pacheco_450r
10-18-2011, 08:08 PM
I built a quad rack in shop when I was a Senior, kinda like what you see on trailers where you park one on top and one underneath. Not everyone needs it, but it saves a lot of space if you have multiple bikes and not a lot of room. My dad also made me a rolling quad jack that lifts the back end under the axle. Its helpful for back tire changes, adjusting/lubing chain, and moving the bike around if the back tires are off.

honda400ex2003
10-18-2011, 08:34 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/4527908_lg.jpg

i made a couple of those in hs, they come in handy at hunting time or when we go on a trip and need some extra storage

tie down strap holders out of sheet metal

spark plug holder out of sheet metal

made a gas rack for my 400ex

made a small carry along tool box

light mounts for a truck if you have one

roll cage for a truck or something

that should get you started for a while.

steve

250x_kyle
10-18-2011, 08:45 PM
also i tig welded an aluminum airbox for my 450r cut card board out to get teh shape i wanted and dimensions. then had my buddy cnc cut out the pecies and tacked it all up then welded it.

mx Eli
10-19-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm not even 15.5 yet so do not drive yet. I made a sheet metal air box just last week fits perfect. right now i'm leaning towards a quad stand. something that i can work on the quad and not worry about it falling. I'll post up plans when i'm done.

When i get a truck (looking for first or second gen 12v cummins)I plan on welding some traction bars to prevent axel twist

atvrider23054
10-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Make your own gussett kit and put it in

250x_kyle
10-19-2011, 01:04 PM
heres the airbox i made.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/needanewquad/PICT0025-2.jpg

mx Eli
10-19-2011, 02:27 PM
nice!
one problem i see is I use sparks foam filters and they'd never fit in that box haha it rests on the bottom of a stocker even