PDA

View Full Version : Belts

doonanracing
10-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Getting back into cvt after a year off. Have a Too Fast Max RPM ported Motor with Malossi overrange system and just got a Mach 1 pipe for it. It Had a very thin belt in it which I found unusual for this set up and was just going to remove it to go back with the what I found worked in 2010 for us (we had a Malossi motor then though) but wanted to find out if there was a theory behind this new belt set up. Thanks for any guideance.

BradLoomis
10-18-2011, 11:00 AM
The thinner width belt is to get farther down into the rear drive sheeve, for more top speed. A thinner thickness will do the same on the front variator for more bottom end snap.

Logan #34's Dad
10-22-2011, 12:33 AM
If MaxRPM put the belt in the engine then this is the set up they won a lot of races and took quite a few holeshots as well.
Justin n I disagreed on this belt but it did work.
My theory on the skinny belt is: no matter how long or skinny it is, if the variator cannot physically squeeze that belt all the way to the top then it cannot get it all the way down in the rear pulley. The higher the belt can go to the top edge of the variator the lower it can go in the rear - however - if its too long it will only go down in the rear so far.
So, length and width matter.. One thing I can tell you is, Justin can tell you exactly how to set it up with that belt.
I used the 61-8779 belt with success. But I did some modifying to the rear pulley so I'd open further for the wider belt.... As well as the variator.
Try what is in it before you mess with it though.....it does work.

And I think my set up worked pretty good.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUTnu2gaRvA