View Full Version : Another Honda crossover parts question (400ex skid and 450r shocks)

bhatch21
10-17-2011, 09:50 PM
I didn't have any luck using the search feature, so I thought I'd just ask. Can a stock 400ex skid plate fit or be made to fit an 88 250r stock swing arm? I like the size and profile of the 400ex one and it seems like all the aftermarket 250r ones are huge. And, it's probably been answered before, but will 450r front shocks fit a 250r with +2 arms? Is there clearance for the rezzies on the stock frame mount? Thanks.

xlr810
10-18-2011, 08:54 AM
A stock 400ex skid will not simply bolt onto a 250r swingarm. Certainly it could be re-worked to fit; however the steel stamping used in stock skids is fairly thin, and won't provide much protection once it is hacked up, unless extensive welding is done. And in my experience, skidplates become brittle once they've been mig welded. Also, I believe the 250r linkage hangs down more and differently than the 400ex.

As for the 450R front shocks. They physically fit fine with no modifications, as long as you are not running stock radiator shrouds (the reservouirs tuck in to most aftermarket shrouds). More than likely you won't be happy with the ride, though. Typically, it will raise up your front end and feel stiff, unless you re-spring and/or revalve the 450r front shocks.