PDA

View Full Version : 500 zilla info

jlrenken
10-17-2011, 06:28 PM
well im lookin to maybe get a 500 zilla and was wondering is there a better year to get. or what are some things i should look for in purchasing one. im pretty clueless when it comes to them.
thanks

hawaiiysr
10-18-2011, 03:31 AM
I do believe 1987 was the only "different" year. 87 a arms were square. All other years were square. Spindles, brakes, hubs, complete rear end, frames, all the same for all years. Just 87 they used a different material for the a arms.

87 has a bigger reed cage/intake. It is the more desired cylinder. 87 had a closer ratio transmission. I'm not totally sure about this one but 88-on had bigger head studs. I think the stud count was different so.

Hope this helps some.

fx4pitrone
10-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Frames: All the same but 88+ have extra gussetting in the rear for more strength/durability
A-arms: 87 are square on top, 1 mounting point (1 long bolt), 88+ are round, 2 mounting bolts. Lowers are same for all years...
Spindles: 87 and 88+ are NOT the same... different length on top
Motor: 87 has 6 studs and larger 5 bolt intake, 88 has 7 studs and smaller 6-bolt intake
Swingers: All the same
Suspension: all the same
Steering stems: 87 are different from 88+

I would look for an 88+ if possible... but just MY OPINION. There are A LOT of 87's out there, so you may be able to find a better deal on them though. Join quadracehq.com .... everything you need to know is on there. There are a lot of power/reliablilty upgrades that can be done to make these things solid bikes.
Good luck w/ your search.....

ERBE
10-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by fx4pitrone
Frames: All the same but 88+ have extra gussetting in the rear for more strength/durability
A-arms: 87 are square on top, 1 mounting point (1 long bolt), 88+ are round, 2 mounting bolts. Lowers are same for all years...
Spindles: 87 and 88+ are NOT the same... different length on top
Motor: 87 has 6 studs and larger 5 bolt intake, 88 has 7 studs and smaller 6-bolt intake
Swingers: All the same
Suspension: all the same
Steering stems: 87 are different from 88+

I would look for an 88+ if possible... but just MY OPINION. There are A LOT of 87's out there, so you may be able to find a better deal on them though. Join suzukiquadracehq.com .... everything you need to know is on there. There are a lot of power/reliablilty upgrades that can be done to make these things solid bikes.
Good luck w/ your search.....

X2 on 88 and up, less chance of problems.
http://www.suzukiquadracerhq.com

bhatch21
10-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by fx4pitrone
Join quadracehq.com .... everything you need to know is on there....
Where is quadracerhq? It looks like the Dr took it down. I haven't been able to connect for weeks.

ERBE
10-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by bhatch21
Where is quadracerhq? It looks like the Dr took it down. I haven't been able to connect for weeks.
QHQ is shut down, try http://www.suzukiquadracerhq.com

ThePhantomRider
07-19-2015, 02:51 AM
If I remember it was a 500cc Quadracer nicknamed Quadzilla.

TPR