PDA

View Full Version : frame swap

4strokernow
10-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Ok so last week I bought a used frame so that I can ride dcnr parks, I plan on taking pictures of the strip down and rebuild. But I was wondering if there is anything in particular that I have to be careful with, or any headache that I should be prepared for...thanks in advance everybody

01boneless
10-17-2011, 10:48 AM
the bolt for the rear motor mount and swinger will probley be seized and you may have to cuy it but off the top of my head thats about it :ermm: also when putin on the wiring harness remember zip ties are your best friend!!!

Scro
10-17-2011, 11:41 AM
I would suggest swapping pieces at a time, instead of taking everything off the old frame at once. It will save you the trouble of keeping up with which bolts go where.

dxcody
10-17-2011, 12:04 PM
^^^ x2

i just did a full frame swap and its much easier to just peice it at a time.

Start with the front end and work your way back.

If you get lucky and the pivot bolt is not seized in there, when you reinstall it put about a 1/4 container of anti-seize on that thing :D lol maybe not a 1/4 but give her plenty.

If you pull the valve cover and head off your motor it is much much easier to get out of your frame, then you dont have to turn it all cockeye'd and stuff you can just pull it straight out, but thats not a must do. It just makes it a little easier.

Remember to replace your exhaust gaskets too.

HAVE FUN! :D

Stickman400
10-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Try to move eveything in large chunks too. Drop the entire swinger with the axle, tires and brake line in one piece. Same with the a-arms, drop them off from where they bolt to the frame with the brake lines still attached, unbolt the master cylinder from your bars and fish it down through the frame and pull the caliper off one side and pull it out the otherside. I took lots of pictures of where everything on the harness was routed too.

quad2xtreme
10-17-2011, 12:34 PM
I use small zip-ties to fasten bolts to the appropriate hole on each part. For example when removing the gas tank, put the bolt back through the hole then put a zip-tie on it to hold it. Some parts have a nut and bolt so they are much easier.

4strokernow
10-17-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all the info, I was planning to do everything over the course of a week or so after work so all of these tips are very useful...and pictures will soon be accompanying this thread. Oh and while I'm typing, does anybody have a bumper that they are willing to part with, the last bumper isn't all that great to look at and is welded to the old frame so I think I'll leave it there...thanks again guys.

HondaPohl
10-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Have fun with the swinger bolt!:)

4strokernow
10-19-2011, 07:06 AM
1st...

http://i55.tinypic.com/3338fwi.jpg

2nd...

http://i54.tinypic.com/28lap1i.jpg

A-arms, front brakes, hubs and suspension transferred...off to a good start.

4strokernow
10-26-2011, 10:57 AM
So now I have the sub frame and the swingarm on the new frame but ran into a problem when installing the steering stem...the stem I was upgrading to has an issue so I can't use it and the original stem is bent, does any body have a stock stem that they're trying to get rid of?