PDA

View Full Version : made a mistake...

Moded86R
10-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Hey guys I own a 2004yfz.About 5 years ago I was riding it at st joe and when I brought it home I washed it.Well I took it down the road to wash it off and it died.No noises.No smoke no giant hole in motor.Just died.

Well it sat in my basement for the past 5 years collecting dust while I worked on my big block chevy nova.Anyway I recently took it out of the garage and took the motor out.Removed the head and cylinder and I found that sand had been sucked up inside the cylinder.

Last friday I ordered a new cylinder,Pistons,Rings,gaskets,circlips.Just gotta get new head bolts.

But while I was taking it apart I sat the head upside down and the little buckets with the shims in them fell off the top of valves.So I don't know which one went to which one.

What should I do to rememdy this situation.I would like to ride the bike a couple days before it gets to cold.

Thanks for any advice.It's good to be working on this bike again.Would love to be able to ride it.Feel that power again!

wongtong
10-18-2011, 08:09 AM
The 2 exhaust buckets should be bigger than the 3 intake buckets so you will be able to figure out where those go, then but you'll have to do a trial and error, put the shims on then the buckets, put your cams back in torque down the caps, then check you clearance, the exhaust should only be 2 tries, the intake just do until you get the right tolerances.

Moded86R
10-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info.The part hopefully will be here thursday or friday.Ordered everything from service honda.

Thanks again!

Moded86R
11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
well guys more problems with the rebuild.

I put the motor all togother.Reinstalled it in the frame.Hooked it all up and the motor wouldn't start.Only fired a little bit out of the carb.Figured it was valve adjustment wrong.

So I took the cam cover off checked my clearances.They weren't right so removed the cams.When I did I noticed that one of the clips that holds the cam into place was missing.On the intake side.

Now I can say for 90 percent certainty I installed this when I put it togother.I removed the stator side cover.Removed the flywheel and tore it all the way down to the timing chain on the crank.And I cannot find this clip.I also stuck a magnet down into a small hole where oil drains into the lowerend.Took both cams out and checked the head as best I could.I cannot find it.

I really don't know what to do at this point.

Has this ever happened to anyone else.If I left this clip in there.Which I really really don't wanna do.Where could it get to.I don't think it can get into the transmission.

Any advice?