PDA

View Full Version : Curious: GT Thunder XC Link

CJM
10-16-2011, 08:57 PM
I really been wanting one of these, the bucking action combined with the shock fade where the rear wants to dance side to side is driving me nuts.

Problem is I worry Im gonna bash it into a rock or something as it seems to stick down VERY low. Anyone had an issue breaking or beating one of these things?

Alternatively I could do a longer swingarm IF it was worthwhile and got rid of the bucking action-but the problem is does that now allow me to utilize the proper shock travel vs the link-which the link puts the shock in the more vertical range, the proper way the shock should work.

I gotta do something about this blasted bucking, driving me nuts lol.

Ideas/Thoughts?

DnB_racing
10-16-2011, 10:00 PM
CJM ..... give nick @ jet a call or call Laz they will set you up with exactly what you need, but be prepared to spend around a grand...

but it will be money well spent

CJM
10-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
CJM ..... give nick @ jet a call or call Laz they will set you up with exactly what you need, but be prepared to spend around a grand...

but it will be money well spent

DnB I was hoping to get away with jets setup of dual rate rear and the link. Thats only 400. Longer swinger would be cool-but so long as the dang thing doesnt buck me off the bike I can be happy. I primarily run sand so I dont worry to much-but theres always a chance.

My main concern is after seeing the pics in this thread (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=389431) it looks like it sticks down way low-but I forgot I have a skid on that probably sits just as low anyways.

Ah tough choices...probably after the winter is when this will be done.

01boneless
10-16-2011, 10:50 PM
it looks like it sits bout as low as a sproket would your call but if you have 20 inch tires it would be ok im sure but with 18s it would be more sutible for track riding imo

chronicsmoke
10-17-2011, 06:19 AM
You'd have to run 20-22" tires with the XC link anyway.. if you ran 18's you'd bottom your frame easily.

I had the XC link on my 450r before I switched to MX, and it worked awsome. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'd have you're shock modded to the link though, it's a great setup

dxcody
10-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Dont you have to buy the GTT skid plate? I dont know for a fact but i thought you did because of how low it hangs a regular one wouldnt fit or you have to cut it or something

chronicsmoke
10-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
Dont you have to buy the GTT skid plate? I dont know for a fact but i thought you did because of how low it hangs a regular one wouldnt fit or you have to cut it or something

You don't need a skid plate.. It will protect the link, but I've never seen a link destroyed by hitting a rock or two either. I've got 3 GTT links that I've used over the years and they all have substantial wear on the bottom side, but it never affected performance.

dxcody
10-17-2011, 08:42 AM
yea i just meant because he said he runs a slid plate, i wasnt sure if a regular aftermarket skid plate would work with the link or not. :D

chronicsmoke
10-17-2011, 09:12 AM
yea i just meant because he said he runs a slid plate, i wasnt sure if a regular aftermarket skid plate would work with the link or not. :D

Usually people just notch their existing skid to accomodate the link. That's what I had done before I went w/o a rear skid

dxcody
10-17-2011, 09:25 AM
ahhh i see.

I am considering getting one also when i have JET rebuild my shock.

chronicsmoke
10-17-2011, 10:13 AM
ahhh i see.

I am considering getting one also when i have JET rebuild my shock.

They are a great alternative to expensive setups. I'd try and find a link used to save yourself ~100 towards the rebuild. Problem is the 400ex links are hard to come by.. I'm still waiting for an MX one to come up for my 426. There are used links for 450's every where it seems.

CJM
10-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Yea I run 20" tires, no desire to run 18's whatsoever. I also run a full swinger skid right now but Chronics right, the thing is basically billet AL it may get a bit beat up but I doubt it would really be an issue.

My worry was it being really low where I would bash it on rocks in PA. Last trip I took there my skid is gouged and slightly dented-but i coulda run more careful had I chose to. Might get 22" tires if I go again anyways.

So its a go then for the link and a jet dual rate rear. I cant stand it really anymore b/c the whoops kill me. I can go VERY fast like pinned 3rd-5th gear but then your going to fast and if you slow down the bucking comes back. I basically lean back and put my feet towards the rear of the pegs, but what happens is the shock just loads up to much and I get bounced side to side. Adjusting is pointless, ive run out of usable travel and valving anyways.

supertrooper90
10-17-2011, 05:35 PM
I live in north jersey, so we have the same terrain as Pa basically. I like the link a lot and have never had an issue. I have gotten hung up on the link once over the past 3 years of xc racing trail riding and mx. I also run 18's at the mx track without a problem... the only thing I didnt like was having to cut the center of my PRM skid plate lol it broke my heart a little.

jmarkel
10-17-2011, 05:45 PM
I run the gt xc link, skid plate, revalved rear shock and converted 450r shocks all done by gt thunder. I also run his rear skid plate made for the link. I never had any problems with clearance or the link hitting rocks, etc. It is ver strong.

It does make a lot of difference. It takes the buck out of the rear. It is very important to set your ride height correctly.

I'm thinking about selling my 400 to buy a 450r. I would be willing to sell this as a whole package. Let me know if you are interested.

CJM
10-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the offer, funds are currently tight but if I get some extra cash Ill hit you up jmarkel.

What weight is your rear shock setup for?

400man
10-18-2011, 12:15 AM
I just got through getting my rear shock re-done by JET, I got the dual rate conversion and I already had the gtt xc link. I havent really rode it enough with the new shock to give a good review, but compared to how it was stock, it feels alot more plush in the travel, sits down low in the sag (exactly how I like my bike to set :cool: ), and still has good bottoming resistance when I hit small jumps or like a gully or big hole at high speed. heres a couple pics,

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/400exjetshock002.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/400exjetshock001.jpg

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/400exjetshock003.jpg

how much do you weigh, CJM? cause if you weigh much over 200lbs then it will be best to go with the single rate shock. This is what I was told when I talked to nick at JET suspension.

CJM
10-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Im usually fluctuating between 175-180 But seeing as Im looking to lose a bit we shall see.

thanks for the pics.

pbblaster2
10-20-2011, 09:59 AM
if you are worried about destroying a link or think you might break it you can drill and tap the link and put a piece of steel under it to act as a link skid, this also helps it from not breaking, also laz make a "wolf" link upon request i do believe which is all steel......