PDA

View Full Version : Little flat tracking vid from 10/16

jon370r
10-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Here is a link to a video from today. Its a small local track call Redneck Raceway in Shapleigh Maine that a group of us are working with the owner to hopefully start a race series next year. There were only four ATV because it was really a demo race for the track and spectators. The track is actually for lawnmower racing and I was some impressed how well some of those tractors went. Vids a little long because it was 30 laps. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.flattrackevolution.com/apps/videos/videos/show/15046365-redneck-raceway-feature-race-10-16-11

HAYESTRX250R
10-16-2011, 07:21 PM
That sure has a hit. Let me guess a 370? Nice vid!

jon370r
10-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Nope, its a Rotax 401cc topend that I have been running for a few years now. I have them in both my R's. I high sided it during warm up laps and bent my steering stem. At 43 I'm getting to old to be flying through the air at 40 MPH and landing on my back. I'm gonna feel that in the morning.

crlt250r
10-16-2011, 08:01 PM
There's an interesting build...... What's intaled in making that come together?

Great video BTW!!!!

C-LEIGH RACING
10-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Jon
We have an AMA/ATVA EDT race for 2012, at Batavia Speedway in Batavia NY.
Check out the 2012 schedule on atvriders.
Neil

jon370r
10-17-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by crlt250r

Great video BTW!!!!

Lots for custom work but well woth it in my opinion. Cases need to be fill welded and base stud locations moved. Custom head, intake and exhaust manifolds to name a few.

C-Leigh, I will have to look that up. Matbe a couple of us will make the trip down.

woodsracer144
10-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by crlt250r

Great video BTW!!!!

alot of work....

crlt250r
10-17-2011, 10:21 AM
After seeing this last night, I went searching around to get an idea of how. I saw a bunch of 400 Polaris stuff, but the Polaris doesn't have the powervalve. When you're up in the 400 cc range, does the powervalve even make that much of a difference? Just asking because I'm getting another bottom end to build for my Zuki 250r with Honda motor. Figured that if I have this much of a mutt, might as well go full Heinz 57 on it LOL

C-LEIGH RACING
10-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Batavia NY is just a little south west of Rochester NY, right off of I-90.

This will be our first national race ever at this new location.
They have a pretty good amount of riders that run their regular local TT series, so it should be a good turn out.
Neil

eddie pettengil
10-18-2011, 05:40 PM
here are pics of the same quad racing.

eddie pettengil
10-18-2011, 05:42 PM
pic

eddie pettengil
10-18-2011, 05:42 PM
pics

JoePA
10-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Damn!! Those are some nice R's! Would love to try TT it looks like a blast....plus it doesn't beat you up like MX!!!

C-LEIGH RACING
10-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by JoePA
Damn!! Those are some nice R's! Would love to try TT it looks like a blast....plus it doesn't beat you up like MX!!!

Thats right Joe & pass that on to anyone you know that would want to run TT.
Neil

JoePA
10-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Any tracks in PA? I know I could get a few guys to try it. How hard to get the quad set up for TT? Can I swith back and forth from MX to TT without any major changes?

dustinshuler
10-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Awesome thread! Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to re-think selling my TT bike.

eddie pettengil
10-19-2011, 09:16 AM
I have had the chance to take that quad on a couple laps on our ice oval in new Hampshire. It pulls from corner exit all the way down the straight. I did not feel any extra power from any rpm range, it just continued to pull hard. Very consistant and and rider friendly compared to my esr top end port 310. I'm sick of being beat by him, I will not be a fan of his motor until he builds one for my trike (lol).

As far as PA tt/ft tracks,do a search for north east extreme dirt track (needt) I think they run close to that area.

And to the farther northeast (ME-NH)
Flat Track Evolution is working with many local tracks and promoters to get something started. We do have a ice racing schedule in the works. ( Jon and I are part of this group).

Neil, that's a 8 hour trip one way for us. I wish I could do it and honestly thinking about it.

JoePA
10-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks!! Going ot check them out!!

I liked in the video how at one point you were just cruising along and still gaining on the 4 poke!!! Your quad Rips!!!

mx Eli
10-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Kind of off sunject but how are the stock 450r shocks with the long travel a arms?
i considered doing somthing like this on my 450r with LT a arms, it just seems like the dont move much and are way to stiff? I was going to try finding some ST pep shocks and use them with the LT a arms and see how it all works for ice racing

C-LEIGH RACING
10-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by mx Eli
Kind of off sunject but how are the stock 450r shocks with the long travel a arms?
i considered doing somthing like this on my 450r with LT a arms, it just seems like the dont move much and are way to stiff? I was going to try finding some ST pep shocks and use them with the LT a arms and see how it all works for ice racing

Are the shock mount locations, in the same place on those LT lower arms as they would be on a set of standard travel arms.
That may be the only issue with just mounting up a set of TT shocks & go racing.

Most TT fronts, 15~16" long.
Neil

eddie pettengil
10-20-2011, 08:32 AM
I'm running + 3 long travel lonestar arms with stock 450r shocks with a sway bar and everything mounted with no mods. I'm only 150lb and I feel they are too stiff. I also tried the stock 250r shocks and found they are to soft but really got the thing low.

Jon (pictured above) has a little different arm setup than myself + has 50lb on me.

I'm sure it's not the pro's choice but it works.

jon370r
10-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks for all the compliments guy. Especially Eddie since I actually have 80lbs+ on him!!!! Awesome pics buy the way Eddie. Are those from your camara or the track photographer? I'm running +2 LT laegers and with the added weight the shocks work fine for me but I'm the type of guy that if the shocks move up and down I'm good with that, LOL. If I want to go out riding I just swap the Axis LT shocks back in and off I go. Eddie, I'm almost positive that my engine won't fit in a ATC chassis without major mods to the main tube that runs under the gas tank. I still have cylinders, heads and intakes for 3 more builds if your interested.

crlt250r
10-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Is your major machining on the cylinder, or did you weld and relocate the cylinder bolts??

jon370r
10-20-2011, 01:49 PM
The only thing done to the cyliner itself is to machine it for a waterneck for the rear radiator hose that runs to the waterpump. Note the outlet on the back of the cylinder in the same location as the stock 250. The Rotax engine runs down through the cylinder into the base of the engine. The 250R engine cases are what get the base stud location moved and fill welded. The Rotax cylinder is actually narrower than the 250r so the case transfer area needs to be filled a little.

mx Eli
10-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Are the shock mount locations, in the same place on those LT lower arms as they would be on a set of standard travel arms.
That may be the only issue with just mounting up a set of TT shocks & go racing.

Most TT fronts, 15~16" long.
Neil

What i ment is running normal length ST front shocks (17-18) with long travel a arms to lower it for tt.
IN this video it looks the loose dirt makes weight transfer is not as much of a factor as it is with ice racing or hard packed blue groove dirt track

mkh155
10-21-2011, 05:41 AM
wow nice R's man! where abouts in Maine are you from?That flattrack racing looks like a good time!

jon370r
10-21-2011, 05:47 AM
I'm from Wells and have spent plenty of time getting useless in Eustis camping on the beach at Flagstaf lake. Plenty of riding up there also.

mkh155
10-21-2011, 06:07 AM
haha hell yeah! I'm going out on Flagstaff to get USELESS for one last ride tommorow!If you dont mind maybe you could pm me some info about some of that TT and ice racing..thanks man

jon370r
10-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Visit http://www.flattrackevolution.com/ and you should find all the info you need. This is a new site for Maine and New Hampshire flat track and ice racing.

mkh155
10-21-2011, 04:16 PM
thanks man...much appreciated

fish10782
10-24-2011, 05:11 AM
did you rework the stock R crank to support the stock skipooo rod as to allow the stock piston??? I thought about doing this a few years back. I reckon the stroke on the rotax was very close to the r and the rods were almost identical in lenght thus allowing for the bigger rod and bearings but yet all would be stock, skipoo rod rebuild and honda main bearings. who made the head for you it's very nice, looks very similar to the one I run dome is different very much so. great looking machines!!!