PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 125/250 chain tensioner

Pa Dirt Eater
10-16-2011, 06:23 PM
What are people using for a drive chain tensioner?? It seems that when you run an aftermarket shock that chain tension becomes an issue. Anyone using a ZTR tensioner??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pics would be awesome.

T@AFP
10-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Pa Dirt Eater
What are people using for a drive chain tensioner?? It seems that when you run an aftermarket shock that chain tension becomes an issue. Anyone using a ZTR tensioner??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pics would be awesome.

Did you change the swing arm too?
Or just the shock?

If you just changed the shock you shouldn't have any different issues with the chain adjustment.
Where in the travel is the issue?
Extended or compression?
Are you experiencing the chain falling off alot?

We considered using a chain tensioner, but we haven't experienced any issues....yet.

Pa Dirt Eater
10-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Stock swingarm, just added a Fox Podium X. At full extension the chain is very loose. I'm afraid it could derail when in the air. It never derailed yet.... But I'd like to head off a possible DNF..

nzraptor
10-17-2011, 05:21 PM
We have a PEP dual on the back of ours and ran into problems with it throwing the chain off in the rough. We purchased a T.M Design Works guide for a Blaster, fabricated a bracket and no more issues. A standard OEM blaster guide works too.

Pa Dirt Eater
10-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Do you have any pictures?

nzraptor
10-18-2011, 01:29 AM
We won't have the bike back until next week. I will post some photo's once I do. If you have the same problem we had you may also find the chain is chewing out the OEM frame saver. We went through them like chocolates. Purchased the T.M Design Works saver with the guide and after 10 months of hard riding still no probs.

mxdad423
10-19-2011, 11:32 AM
You don't need a tensioner, all you need is a chain guide and you won't have any issues. We have a JB swing arm on ours wich comes with a bracket for a guide, but with the stock one All you have to do is drill 2 holes in the swing arm and get a couple threaded bungs and weld them into the holes then you can bolt a guide on it. Hope that helps you out.

Kevin Smitley

jweidner
10-25-2011, 07:07 PM
A big problem on the 125 when changing to a long travel shock. With the shock fully extended you have about 2 inch of play and if you compress the back end of the quad with rider on the chain becomes extremely tight. Service manuals says you can run between 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 inch of of play. Seems like alot

TTracer#22
10-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Like MXdad Said we put a chain guide on our and it works great don't need a tensioner

nzraptor
11-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Pa Dirt Eater, attempting to down load photos, I'll get my son to help me tomorrow. Have not forgotten you.

powerbomb400
11-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I run the TM Design chain guide on my 400ex and it works great. It didn't really have a guide just a piece of plastic that Honda called a guide. So I really had to keep a close eye on the chain. With the guide you run the chain looser so it don't stretch as much. But at the same time you don't have to worry about coming off the sprockets. The price for them isn't bad at all. It was like 29.00 dollars with tax.

nzraptor
11-11-2011, 11:48 PM
Pa Dirt Eater; I think we have finally cracked it. Hope the attached image helps.

nzraptor
11-11-2011, 11:53 PM
A couple more

Pa Dirt Eater
11-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the pics. Do you race MX or Harescrambles? It looks like it would be perfect for mx. We race Harescrambles and ground clearance means alot. This is a tough decision - lose the ground clearance and maybe break or bend the guide or take a chance on throwing the chain with no guide???

nzraptor
11-12-2011, 02:21 PM
The phpto is a little deceptive. The base of the guide sits higher than the lowest point of the sprocket. It has survived some pretty narly trail rides. We race MX/TT

gorpracing
11-15-2011, 07:50 PM
I run the same set up in worcs and desert racing with no problems. The top of the guide is level with the bottom of the swing arm and still we have had no problems. Thats a full season of worcs and desert riding.

MX Jeff
02-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Which TM chain guide are you using for this?

gorpracing
02-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Im using a Banshee guide. You can use the slide or roller type. I have used both with out a problem.

MX Jeff
02-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Ok thanks for the info!

Pa Dirt Eater
03-20-2012, 07:07 PM
I want to thank everyone for sharing their setup. I ended up trying a Blingstar Dual Sprocket Guard on the 125. It looks big, but it sets about the same height from the ground as the stock skidplate. I am hoping that this guard works good for Harescrambles. It should help guide the chain a little and prevent derailing. It will also work good for logs and rocks with the notches that are cut into it. The inner guard is smaller and much thinner than the outer guard, but I think it will work well. I'll try to post a few pictures.

Pa Dirt Eater
03-20-2012, 07:08 PM
another pic

Pa Dirt Eater
03-20-2012, 07:10 PM
ok ok last pic, but this one shows how close it comes to the swingarm and how thin the inner guard is.