PDA

View Full Version : Skid plates for NEPA

OldGuyonaQuad
10-16-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm sure it's been discussed before but, the one thing I've learned about where and how I ride is the need for a heavy duty skid plate. NEPA as most of you know is a rock bed and I don't always take the best lines so I need suggestions on the best plates to get for a rider like me who surfs the rocks.

wykyd450R
10-16-2011, 02:28 PM
PRM.....period.

jzexrider
10-16-2011, 02:50 PM
DG fat series, Ive had mine on for 5 years.

CJM
10-16-2011, 06:50 PM
When we went out last time I ran just my pro-armor 1/4 thick swingarm skid. While it bent slightly (and you know how hard I was riding it lol) and was gouged it didnt deform or break. Gonna buy a new one sooner or later, cant recommend pro armor enough.

quad2xtreme
10-16-2011, 07:08 PM
you running 20" or 22" tires?

I've never been a fan of 22" tires but ran them on my 450r at Hatfield because I still had a stock swingarm guard. I was amazed how little I hit any rocks. I am thinking I am going to keep this setup. I really got used to the tires and they will definitely go places the 20" won't make it.

I was running a Hyde frame skidplate. Don't think I even hit the frame at all. If I did, the skid plate held up great.

http://www.hyderacing.com/quad.htm

Sjorge450R
10-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Raced 6 years in NEPA. on my 450r i ran a 1/4" body skid and Lone star sprocket and rotor guard. NEVER had on problem. That was racing all over PA in A class. Never had any issues. No need to use a swing arm skid, its just going to lower your ground clearance and slow you down

quad2xtreme
10-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge450R
Raced 6 years in NEPA. on my 450r i ran a 1/4" body skid and Lone star sprocket and rotor guard. NEVER had on problem. That was racing all over PA in A class. Never had any issues. No need to use a swing arm skid, its just going to lower your ground clearance and slow you down

That's the same setup I run on both my 400ex quads (both use 450r rear swingarms specifically to allow use of Lonestar rotor guard). I was running this setup on my wife's quad too but got an overmarket swingarm without the provisions for mounting a rotor guard. She run the Blingstar on two big riding trips so far with great success.

I will definitely switch my 450er over to the full Lonestar setup too. I originally bought a nearly new 2006 450er with very minor engine issue for $1,551. Planned to sell it but realized I'd likely only get about $2,800 for it while beat up used ones are going for $2,200. I decided to ride it for a few years myself then sell. So, I got caught last minute heading out on a big riding trip at Hatfield with no time to get it setup properly. The 22" tires really did the trick. I think the Hyde skid will need to go though when I switch back to 20" tires. It is tough but eventually rough rocks are going to gouge it too death.

CJM
10-17-2011, 12:43 PM
If the rocks can be any worse than the last time we went omg!

Literally we rode on a bed of boulders, rocks, and stuff the entire time pretty much. My skid which Ive had on for years literally came back beat but still usable.

While a lonestar setup would be worth while its also $$$$ imho, Id run a full swinger skid before I ran that stuff unless I had the cash.

tbrackman84
10-19-2011, 06:39 AM
sjorge is right. I have a beastly pro armor swinger skid plate and it does the job of protecting, and sometimes gliding over stuff. But it really gets hung up bad when the rocks are a little bit too big. It does it's job but it gives me about 5 inches of ground clearance lol

CNC_guy
10-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I put UHMW skids on my 700XX. I will never own another set of aluminum skids again.

quad2xtreme
10-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by CNC_guy
I put UHMW skids on my 700XX. I will never own another set of aluminum skids again.

Are they completely flat...or molded in some way. They have a form of plastic that is tougher than UHMW offered by this supplier. Been thinking about making a set for my quad. It is called IPX and is UV protected for outdoor use.

http://www.interstateplastics.com/Ipx-2000-Uhmw-Sheet-UHMIV.php?vid=201001131813-5p

I've ordered UHMW from them. I cut it and put in the oven for 20 minutes or so at 400° and then bolt it under the swingarm skidplate to fill in any air gaps.

CNC_guy
10-19-2011, 10:09 AM
They are formed. I ordered mine from Power Form Pro and have absolutely no complaints. I ordered the complete set from here:

Power Form (http://www.powerformpro.com/trx700xx1.html)