PDA

View Full Version : Gearing

ramey-racing28
10-15-2011, 12:56 PM
I have a mostly stock drx 90, we want to go to the kart wheels and tires on the rear for flat track and tt. Can anyone give me a ball park of what sprockets i should have.

Logan #34's Dad
10-15-2011, 03:26 PM
When we won at Pine Lake this year we ran a 23 front and 22 rear. The TT guys call it overdrive gears....
We were running a real fast 2fast from MaximumRPM. So your stock 90 will be a lil different I'd imagine.
I'll sell ya the 22 rear if your interested.... $30. I'll never need it again. Used one weekend.

ramey-racing28
10-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Ya, i would be interested in it. Is there advantages to changing the internal gearing in the trany? Or have you changed them. I have seen them for sale, but I'm unsure of what to get. I'm planing on a larger engine build soon, because he won most of the races we ran this year in the stock class. So we are moving into the Production Class.

Logan #34's Dad
10-15-2011, 11:16 PM
I cannot see how changing the tranny gears could hurt anything. I'd think the "high speed" gears would work for TT. no matter what tranny gears you use is comes back to the sprockets being correct for that tranny and track - IMO.
As far as a 90cc build, The hands down best kit out there is a 2fast..... with a MaxRPM or Hetrick Pipe..... Just FYI..
PM me about the sprocket - I've got a 25 also.
Oh, I also have a set of high speed tranny gears too......:D
Just send me your next paycheck....lol

doonanracing
10-18-2011, 11:02 AM
one to one is a good starting point for a built motor and this is when you are running cart tires not stock or larger tt tires . you might lean towards a slightly lower front to rear combo as the Too Fast and Malossi motors have allot of torque and can pull the higher or larger front to rear combo. Say 20-21 front to 22 rear on a stock motor might be a good starting point or buy Logan 34's Dads 22 which would be a good choice for rear sprocket with the cart rear. The idea with gearing and clutch set up for you will be to get your rider the holeshot as w/o a faster motor you need to get the rider up front fast and at the start as with a more limited motor it would take allot of rider and skill to beat a Too Fast or Malossi motor in TT with a stock motor if you don;t get out of the start fast. Remember also smaller tires also change the ratio from what might work with larger tires also. We started out using a 20-22 front to 23 rear when was close to stock and then moved to what Logans Dad suggested with a built motor. Good luck TT racing is allot of fun.

ramey-racing28
10-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys for all the info. That helps me a lot.