PDA

View Full Version : maintenance???? before storing for winter.

GAZ-V-21
10-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Alright well this has been my first year of owning and riding a 4 wheeler so before winter comes i was wondering what all you guys suggest to do before storrage basicly a yearly maintanence routine.

Thumpin440ex
10-15-2011, 01:04 PM
So your not going to ride at all in the winter??? Change oil/ filter, lube the chain, clean filter, if you are def going to let it sit, some stabil gas treatment might be ok.

John

GAZ-V-21
10-15-2011, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
So your not going to ride at all in the winter??? Change oil/ filter, lube the chain, clean filter, if you are def going to let it sit, some stabil gas treatment might be ok.

John [/QUOT
E] It probably wont sit the whole winter i like riding to much but i wont be on it as much

dan5
10-15-2011, 01:58 PM
I start my bikes at least once a month and let them run for a while. I also ride them slowly around for about 5-10 min Just to get every thing re-lubed and make sure no condensation builds. As stated above
put some gas stabilizer in your tank

GAZ-V-21
10-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by dan5
I start my bikes at least once a month and let them run for a while. I also ride them slowly around for about 5-10 min Just to get every thing re-lubed and make sure no condensation builds. As stated above
put some gas stabilizer in your tank cool i will maybe start it weekly and will get some stabilizer thanks

01boneless
10-15-2011, 04:35 PM
make sure you plug the exhast so no bugs or mice get in there i had a bee nest in mine once :D when i started it it wasent pretty lol:devil:

GAZ-V-21
10-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
make sure you plug the exhast so no bugs or mice get in there i had a bee nest in mine once :D when i started it it wasent pretty lol:devil: Lol ya that would suck

DnB_racing
10-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by GAZ-V-21
cool i will maybe start it weekly and will get some stabilizer thanks if its stored in a cold place dont start it unless you plan on riding, cold engine starts cause more damage then letting it sit, your better off winterizing it properly and leaving it alone till your ready to run it again

stabilize it, clean it,spay the whole quad with a penetrating fluid, oil it,raise it off the ground,cover it, cover the intake to keep animals out,if you plan on storing it for long you can fog the motor, make sure your tank is full to keep it from condensation, put a trickle charge on the battery

Longdong
10-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Take your swingarm bolt out and antiseize. Good to do every winter!!!!

hybridracer686
10-15-2011, 09:51 PM
stud the tires and ride it!:D

audioworks04
10-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Obviously was and lub everything well and use some kind of fuel stabilizer, but you need to run it enough to fill the carb up with the stabilized fuel also not just the tank. While it is stored for the winter I like to take the chain off and clean it with diesel or kerosene fuel then let soak in atf or motor oil. Also a good time to grease all pivot points, bushing and bearings.

yellow02400ex
10-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Only one other person said this trickle charge the battery. Imo the most important thing to do other than ride it.

audioworks04
10-16-2011, 06:30 PM
True is a very important thing to do and I do recommend doing it and if you remove the battery, do not store it on concrete or on a metal shelf on concrete. Only reason I did not mention this is because I dont not own a 4/3 wheeler with a battery, so not a concern here.

400excracer
10-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Use Star Tron fuel stabilizer. It is the best stabilizer on the market. I swear by the stuff. Put a little in the tank and ride it around a little bit to make sure you get some in the carb and you are good to go. Dont forget to charge your battery a couple of times during the winter.

CJM
10-19-2011, 02:10 PM
The best fuel stabilizer hands down (Ive used gas that was 5 years old!) is PRI-G. It can be found online, at small engine/lawnmower shops and boat shops. Its well worth finding it.