PDA

View Full Version : Whos the best for tranny work?

jackrb100
10-15-2011, 05:16 AM
I am getting a transmission worked on and want to know who is best to send it to? I have one that has been worked on already but don't know who did it.

400exrip
10-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Probably the best two would be either Baldwin Motorsports, or Rage atv, I now a couple of guys at the race track that have had there tranny's backcut and polished by them

I think they also sell billet tranny gears if you can afford them. $,$$$

Dave400ex
10-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Moto-Xperts has a trans mod that has been very successful. I would do that with GT Thunder's new spring and you should have a solid setup.

jackrb100
10-17-2011, 07:45 AM
How would I know who my tranny was worked on by? I think I will try out that spring from gt thunder. Does anyone have any experience with the spring? Sounds to good to be true. Ha thanks.

quad2xtreme
10-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by jackrb100
How would I know who my tranny was worked on by?

Who asked you who worked on it? :confused:

Kovatch
10-18-2011, 09:25 AM
I think he is just curious how he would find out who has been in there... maybe a signature on a gear or something...(like Baldwin/MXP put their names on the head).

Billet transmission is $1925+/-.

quad2xtreme
10-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Kovatch
I think he is just curious how he would find out who has been in there... maybe a signature on a gear or something...(like Baldwin/MXP put their names on the head).

Billet transmission is $1925+/-.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't read it that way. I almost thought somebody must have posted something then gone back and deleted the post.

quad2xtreme
10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
How hard is it to replace tranny gears? I can replace a clutch and starter gears.

My tranny is still the original 2006 gears. Mark Baldwin did my rebuild and replaced just about everything but the tranny. He said he was amazed the condition it was in. I almost always use the clutch when shifting and always let off the gas. If I were a true "pro" caliber rider then I too would jam my shifts so I maximized by lap times; however, I have so many other areas I can improve upon that there really isn't a need for this.

In any case, I think the new power of this engine is now having an impact on my tranny. I notice some issue between 3rd and 4th...almost like it drops from 4th back to 3rd under hard acceleration (I really only have it happen when up shifting on this uphill section of track). I am wondering if I could buy the billet gears from Baldwin and install them myself. Is there any special measuring of tolerances or anything? I am OCD and fairly meticulous so if it is as simple as following a set of instructions then I'd be in good shape. Also, can it be done with the engine in the frame? Does it require splitting cases? If so, this is definitely beyond my skillset.

beyer05
10-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
How hard is it to replace tranny gears? I can replace a clutch and starter gears.

My tranny is still the original 2006 gears. Mark Baldwin did my rebuild and replaced just about everything but the tranny. He said he was amazed the condition it was in. I almost always use the clutch when shifting and always let off the gas. If I were a true "pro" caliber rider then I too would jam my shifts so I maximized by lap times; however, I have so many other areas I can improve upon that there really isn't a need for this.

In any case, I think the new power of this engine is now having an impact on my tranny. I notice some issue between 3rd and 4th...almost like it drops from 4th back to 3rd under hard acceleration (I really only have it happen when up shifting on this uphill section of track). I am wondering if I could buy the billet gears from Baldwin and install them myself. Is there any special measuring of tolerances or anything? I am OCD and fairly meticulous so if it is as simple as following a set of instructions then I'd be in good shape. Also, can it be done with the engine in the frame? Does it require splitting cases? If so, this is definitely beyond my skillset.

Yes, have to split the cases to replace tranny gears.

450R NOOB
10-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Yes you have to split the cases but its not nearly as complicated as you may think. With a service manual its a breeze. The transmission itself is very basic, just gears, bushings, snap rings, and washers riding on two shafts. The dogs on one or a few of the gears may be worn and you might get by with buying a gear or two instead of spending +/- 2000 on a complete tranny.