PDA

View Full Version : 400ex xc set up

bigbillg
10-14-2011, 04:48 AM
for the last few races of the season i'm going to park the 450 and use my 400 i all ready raced it once this year it seemed like the rear was beating the crap out of me the front is stock a arms with gt thunder 450r rebuilds it's pretty soft but the rear is stock and was bouncing every where i'm just wanting to know what set ups anyone uses for xc

400man
10-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I'd say almost everyone here is gonna recommend the GT thunder rear XC linkage and get it revalved. If you get the linkage by itself it will help a ton, but if you weigh over like 150lbs then the rear shock is gonna feel very soft, but you can still counter that by just tightening the spring preload.

Rohr397
10-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Linkage would be a big help but here's my two cents. The 400ex swingarm is very short causing more bounce in the rear. Additionally there is too much preload in the stock rear shock and the linkage only aids in that problem. To fully eliminate the problem you would need to get a longer XC swingarm, linkage and an aftermarket shock. The stock 400ex shock is trash, no amount of tuning could make mine work the way I needed it to. My suggestion would be to start with the linkage and shock. The swingarm isn't a must have but it would be a big boost if you plan to race later on with this machine.

TORO1968
10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
I've had great success with my Elka dual rate shock and LT linkage. There's been times when I've hit whoops where I thought I was going to be bucked off for sure and the quad just soaked them up.

The GT Thunder linkage is also really good, but I'm not a huge fan of how low it hangs. Every one I've seen is all beat up due to no skid plate with linkage protection available that fits.

In regard to running a longer swinger, I believe you can bolt in a 450R swingarm to gain a little bit of length.

supertrooper90
10-15-2011, 05:30 AM
the gt thunder link and a revalve worked really well for me. Although, I may seek out a different company other than gt thunder. There are a lot of other companys out there... I recently had a really good experience with a company called HYGEAR for my wifes shocks. they were alot more thorough and seems like their customer service is really decent.

bigbillg
10-15-2011, 06:32 AM
ok one more qustion my throttle is so stiff that by the second lap i can hardly push it the one on my 450 is soft and never bothers me i can ride all day is it the sping in the carb or is it in the housing or could it just be needing a new cable

TORO1968
10-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Probably you just need a new cable.

Stickman400
10-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Yep, I think they wear out quicker than the other cables. I just replaced mine because it got stuck sometimes and you could feel it rubbing the housing when you pushed it. I put a new one on and it's smooth as glass when you push it.