PDA

View Full Version : New suspension concept

Wired
10-13-2011, 02:01 PM
http://vimeo.com/2892307

someone just posted this on facebook. looks kinda crazy. wonder if it actually works???

CJM
10-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Interesting but looks WAY to bouncy and I do not like the idea of the suspension locking if you hit the brakes.

sexysilverado45
10-19-2011, 01:14 PM
I want it looks good. Any one have additional info.

400exrider707
10-20-2011, 02:12 PM
I have to watch this more and really think about it, but the thing that I can't stop wondering...

Those tires would never work offroad for one. I can't help but wonder what happens when you put some grippy ATV or even a grippy dirtbike tire on it... I wonder if it would tip up.

The terrain they're riding on is really flat. So the rider is making the quad tip whichever what he wants, but has anyone had to jerk the handle bars back a different direction when you've hit some uneven terrain while powersliding? I can't help but wonder what happens then...

I also don't believe their 310lbs... and I'm not sure if I believe the 28" of wheel travel. I didn't see it jumping at all either, I wonder how stout it is. Can't imagine it holding up to the sky shot at dilla....

sexysilverado45
10-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Thats a few of the questions I had. The jumps, and if it can still use regular tires and wheels.

wilkin250r
10-21-2011, 12:10 PM
I don't think it can use regular tires, and CERTAINLY not as wide as the normal rear tires on an ATV. The suspension is designed to lean, similar to a dirtbike, and a 10 inch wide tire just won't lean like it's supposed to.

400exrider707
10-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I don't think it can use regular tires, and CERTAINLY not as wide as the normal rear tires on an ATV. The suspension is designed to lean, similar to a dirtbike, and a 10 inch wide tire just won't lean like it's supposed to.

Right, but even with a dirt bike tire I can see this tipping the wrong way real easy. They are NOT hitting those corners very hard. I keep thinking about slamming into a berm with a ton of speed built up and thinking about how much force is throwing you out of the corner... we basically rely on the straight axle a TON to keep us going the way we want. I can't see this doing that.

wilkin250r
10-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Right, but even with a dirt bike tire I can see this tipping the wrong way real easy. They are NOT hitting those corners very hard. I keep thinking about slamming into a berm with a ton of speed built up and thinking about how much force is throwing you out of the corner... we basically rely on the straight axle a TON to keep us going the way we want. I can't see this doing that.

The forces acting on the tires and rims is going to be a huge variable that would be difficult to predict. But I would tend to agree with you. The reason dirtbike wheels can handle the stress is because the forces acting on them are all directed straight inwards towards the center, there is very little stress acting sideways.

Leaning the entire bike into a corner would certainly reduce any side-load stress on the wheels, but it doesn't look like they're leaning nearly as much as a dirtbike, thus it wouldn't eliminate that side-load completely.

I see it as an interesting concept, but it doesn't look practical in that form.

jesshamner
10-21-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm thinking something like razr2 fronts all around might be a good choice of offroad tire for that setup.

I think they can get a longer wheel travel because the arc of motion isn't like an atv due to the leaning of the frame. Because it leans the more you turn, it increases they travel while keeping the grip patch on the ground...sort of.

I would have to see this thing on an actual trail. It looks like its getting no traction whatsoever. It might be the perfect trail quad actually. It looks super stable and cushy in the bumps.

400exrider707
10-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
The forces acting on the tires and rims is going to be a huge variable that would be difficult to predict. But I would tend to agree with you. The reason dirtbike wheels can handle the stress is because the forces acting on them are all directed straight inwards towards the center, there is very little stress acting sideways.

Leaning the entire bike into a corner would certainly reduce any side-load stress on the wheels, but it doesn't look like they're leaning nearly as much as a dirtbike, thus it wouldn't eliminate that side-load completely.

I see it as an interesting concept, but it doesn't look practical in that form.

I wasn't even thinking in that sense, good point. I was thinking of hitting the corner hard enough it shifts the balance towards the outside, now your center of gravity is going the wrong way for the corner and over you go...