PDA

View Full Version : decompressor spring/plunger

05DodgeDakota
10-13-2011, 01:34 PM
ok for those that don;t already know, I'm in the middle of a engine rebuild, but in the tear down I think I lost the spring/plunger for the decompression mechanism on the cam somewhere in the engine. I just got done taking the clutch cover off, and I still can't find the damn thing. I was thinking about flusing out the case with something like kerosene next, hoping it will float out from whereever it might be hiding. Any tips or suggestions on where it might be and how to retrieve it? I want to avoid removing the engine completely and splitting the cases if I can.

400exrip
10-13-2011, 02:12 PM
It is not in the cylinder? Or did you drop it down in the cam chain tensioner hole if you did it probably smoewhere down in the transmission, It will be harder to get it out since the 400ex's do not have the oil drain bolt on the bottom of the motor.

If you are running a hotcam or any other aftermarket cam, you will not need these components to go back in. I know you don't want to hear this but, You will probably have to end up spliting the cases to find it, unless you get real lucky.

if you don't find it here are some part numbers

Spring, 14126- KV2- 940

Plunger, 14125- KV2- 940

Honda East Toledo
10-13-2011, 02:17 PM
We have both of those parts for $10.73. Give me a call if you need to order 419-891-1230 Ext36

CJM
10-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Well, thats not good.

Id poke around and look ALL over for it, if you cant find it thats a bad thing.

powerbomb400
10-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Might sound crazy but you might turn thr bike upside down and see if it will fall out. I'd look around where you was working and start there and work your way outward. I've lost things and found them in the most awkard places.

05DodgeDakota
10-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by 400exrip
It is not in the cylinder? Or did you drop it down in the cam chain tensioner hole if you did it probably smoewhere down in the transmission, It will be harder to get it out since the 400ex's do not have the oil drain bolt on the bottom of the motor.

If you are running a hotcam or any other aftermarket cam, you will not need these components to go back in. I know you don't want to hear this but, You will probably have to end up spliting the cases to find it, unless you get real lucky.

if you don't find it here are some part numbers

Spring, 14126- KV2- 940

Plunger, 14125- KV2- 940

It wouldn't have fallen down the cylinder, the piston was still in it when I lost it. It had to fallen down the cam chain hole. This was the first motor teardown, so unless 08s didn;t have them it should be there. I will be running a hotcam, but I need to find this damn thing so that it don't get stuck somewhere in there and gernade the damn thing. What do you think of the flushing idea?

CJM
10-13-2011, 06:16 PM
I doubt it would float to the top. Maybe you can get a small magnet and poke around in there?

NMills
10-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I doubt it would float to the top. Maybe you can get a small magnet and poke around in there?

I was thinking the magnet as well.. they come on sticks so you can reach right in....

CJM
10-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by NMills
I was thinking the magnet as well.. they come on sticks so you can reach right in....

Thats exactly what I would use, a stick magnet with a smaller head, they also make flex ones as well. Then since you probably cant reach it any auto parts store will have a small claw like extractor/grabber Like this (http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Claw-Pick-Automotive-Mechanic/dp/B000RB7AGY)

01boneless
10-13-2011, 08:07 PM
i droped mine down in the bottom end and was lucky enough to get it out with a teloscoping magnet but then again i see it down ther i hate to say it but more than likely your gonna have to split the cases :(

CJM
10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Old mechanic trick: ALWAYS stuff any areas where little stuff can fall with rags! ALWAYS!

05DodgeDakota
10-14-2011, 04:34 AM
I'm not trying to make it float, I want to try to flush it out the oil drain hole or out the clutch side. I was gonna do this anyways to clean out the case where gasket material has fallen in there. I've tryed poking around with a magnet with no luck, and a claw grabber won't help me unless I can see it, which I cannot. F***!!!

Also as a side note, since this "little" project is getting so drawn out, I'm reconsidering the HD head studs and HD timing chain. I just ordered the CFM oversized oil tank.

Another question, where do yall order the spal fans from, and what size? I was looking at them on there website, they want $75.

Stickman400
10-14-2011, 03:30 PM
I got mine off ebay for about $35, but I just looked and the only one I found was one off of a cannondale. So you might have to wait awhile until they re-list some more of them.

HondaRaceReady
10-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Since you live in central FL try taking it to MMI or Wyotech and letting the students find it. Seriously though, I would try taking off the cylinder and you'll have more access to search the crankcase with a flashlight/magnet.

CJM
10-14-2011, 06:34 PM
It would be very wise to run the crf chain and HD studs. Your going to have to take off the cylinder and piston to find the spring and plunger anyways.

Also until you are sure, please run 100 octane in it and make sure its jetted right.

01boneless
10-14-2011, 06:52 PM
^^save your breath bro lol i tried. but ya do not even think about assembling it untill you find those pieces imho

05DodgeDakota
10-15-2011, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
Since you live in central FL try taking it to MMI or Wyotech and letting the students find it. Seriously though, I would try taking off the cylinder and you'll have more access to search the crankcase with a flashlight/magnet.

the cylinder is off and the piston is out

05DodgeDakota
10-15-2011, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by CJM
It would be very wise to run the crf chain and HD studs. Your going to have to take off the cylinder and piston to find the spring and plunger anyways.

Also until you are sure, please run 100 octane in it and make sure its jetted right.

Like I said the sylinder and piston is off and at the engine builder. Once I get the clyinder back from him I'll ship it off to GT Thunder and let them install the studs and I'll have them send me a cam chain too. Also with the gas issue that's what I'm planning on doing. I'm gonna run 100LL for alittle while and I'm gonna run it a little rich to stay on the safe side.

05DodgeDakota
10-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by CJM

Like I said the sylinder and piston is off and at the engine builder. Once I get the clyinder back from him I'll ship it off to GT Thunder and let them install the studs and I'll have them send me a cam chain too. Also with the gas issue that's what I'm planning on doing. I'm gonna run 100LL for alittle while and I'm gonna run it a little rich to stay on the safe side.

05DodgeDakota
10-15-2011, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by 01boneless
^^save your breath bro lol i tried. but ya do not even think about assembling it untill you find those pieces imho

???

all you do is repeat what other prople with actual knowledge have told you on here, so where do you get off saying that?

01boneless
10-16-2011, 10:54 AM
your last thread :D

mark my words You run less than 100 octane in that setup and itle be done in a hour. also please tell me you are doing hd head studs?

your so wrong bro and i was talkin about the gas . since you praise your wonderful engine builder and wont trust people that have actualy had expirence building them but your runnin 100+ right good for you :devil: your just POed because you dropped that plunger down in there and screwed up and cant get it out :blah:

dxcody
10-17-2011, 07:15 AM

actually CJM said it first on the last thread too.
*ANYWAYS*
Make sure you check the work bench, (which you prolly have) and all the little creases in the work bench, (if yours is wood) i dropped one of those half moons from a YFZ camshaft down into the motor (or so i thought) and after tearing the motor into pieces i found it in the crease of my workbench with a magnet and little snap-on pick.
:grr: But i learned alot in the process! hope you find them sooner rather than later.

01boneless
10-17-2011, 07:51 AM
^^^does it matter who said it first ? but lol anyway back to your thread :D

05DodgeDakota
10-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
actually CJM said it first on the last thread too.
*ANYWAYS*
Make sure you check the work bench, (which you prolly have) and all the little creases in the work bench, (if yours is wood) i dropped one of those half moons from a YFZ camshaft down into the motor (or so i thought) and after tearing the motor into pieces i found it in the crease of my workbench with a magnet and little snap-on pick.
:grr: But i learned alot in the process! hope you find them sooner rather than later.

I'm gonna go through all my part baggies and see if it somehow found it's way in there...