PDA

View Full Version : front sprocket

dirtrider420
10-12-2011, 09:09 PM
i want to drop some teeth on front sprocket to get a better take off and get more top end

01boneless
10-12-2011, 09:28 PM
good luck with that .....

Scro
10-13-2011, 06:01 AM
Dropping teeth on the front will give you more acceleration, but take away from your top speed. It's the opposite if you add teeth.

bcleveland
10-13-2011, 07:06 AM
It actually is possible to do what your wanting .....kinda. We race karts and this question comes up a good bit going to different tracks. You can drop a tooth on the front and a couple on the rear and increase acceleration while at best keeping your top speed. It all has to do with chain friction and drag as it travels around the gears. I dont think you will get the results your after by doing this but it may be worth a try. In karts motors are within 1/10 of a hp from each other and all the front runners will be hooked up perfect. So that playing with gears as I described makes a very noticeable difference. But beating a round trails or back yard riding I dont think its really gonna matter.

quad2xtreme
10-13-2011, 09:07 PM
except winding a chain around a smaller sprockets increases friction. 13/36 isn't going to produce as much usable energy as 14/39 for example. It gets really bad if you wrap a front chain around an 11 or 12 tooth sprocket. You are not going to both increase takeoff and gain on the top end either. It is simple math for what it would take in added RPM to keep the same top end speed. This top end speed will take even more hp which you don't have if your only changes were in gearing.

DragonGunner
10-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by 01boneless
good luck with that .....

Now thats funny.